Glo bettas

Lysol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2019
I'd go for a long finned oscar and a ZZ grade king karma Thai silk warrior flowerhorns male. As long as you do a ten percent water change once a month and only feed them five times a day you should be fine. Maybe get some plecos and clown loaches to clean the bottom of the tank too.
What no arowana or red tail?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It was inevitable. Somebody saw a buck to be made...and did whatever they had to do in order to make it.

But...Bettas? Meh... Personally, I am holding out for Bubble-eye PomPom Lionhead Oranda Glo-Goldfish. I can hardly wait for a fish that can't see, can't swim, can't feed itself and also glows in the dark. It'll be a perfect addition to my aquarium, and will make it an even better "window into nature" than it already is.

But...will they do "fine" in tropical temperatures? I already have a short-bodied Arapaima, a Redtail X TSN cat, an albino Clown Knife and a 3-eyed Goliath Tiger Fish in my 75-gallon tank so I need to keep it at 78F. My window of opportunity to introduce new fish is brief; I need to wait for all of them to be at one end of the tank, trying to turn around, so that I can quickly throw new fish in at the other end. Please advise ASAP; my older brother promised to drive me to the fish store today so I need to know right away!

I love fish.
Can’t wait for glo- rays :naughty:

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
IMO Glo-ness is less a "crime to nature" than the long-fin-ness of the domesticated betta. I don't find it pretty though. Glo rarely looks good on fresh water fish.

I however hope that some scientists make glo brush algae. It would look weird and probably fantastic.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Saw these in person at lfs yesterday. There was a red finned one that looked interesting. I'm not against it or for it. But I doubt I'll own it.

Reactions: Matteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Somebody mentioned that the culling process to create these glo-fish, seemed to make a difference ethically.
Consider that with FHs, BPs and EBJDs, or any other hybrid, line bred fish, the same culling process is applied.
Out of a spawn between two species to create a FH up to 10% may end up being acceptable, and 90%, perhaps more, end up on the culling floor.
I believe this is what most amateur hybridizers don't consider, that out of a hybrid spawn maybe 40% will resemble the mother, 40% the father, 10% will be deformed, another 5% dull generics, and maybe 5% will be what the ultimate aim is, but....until those individuals are @ 3 ", those true colors won't be apparent.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Glofish are genetically modified fish by injecting jelly fish genes into the DNA. Unlike hybrid and mutants, glofish are fertile and live as long life as normal fish, except that some Glofish are altered from albino form which are less hardy than normal fish to begin with.

Glofish are appealing to and marketed to kids along with colored gravel, plants and ornaments. Most adults hobbyists dislike the unnatural look, but there is nothing wrong if Glofish can bring the interest of kids into fish keeping. I much prefer kids to spend time on keeping artificial fish than electronic games. I deslike the artificial look of most Glofish but do like red glo tiger barb for their natural looking color andI keep a school in my planted cichlid tank. If they can come up with more natural looking Glofish, I don’t mind keeping more.

Ornamental fish, dog, cat, rabbits, pigeons and canaries have been altered for our enjoyment for hundreds of years, and I have no moral or other issues with hybrids, mutants or GM fish and don’t share the criticism of such.

54BF55E1-1718-4EB8-9557-08B56F2FD430.jpeg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just found out my petsmart has them in stock. I might go today to get a look.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Just found out my petsmart has them in stock. I might go today to get a look.
Saw that already. Not impressive to me as betta are already very colorful, and there are many line bred form and color.

I would like to see more color modification of normally colorless fish, such as angel, festivm and convict.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I personally think a sorority of glowing female bettas will be interesting. I'm not going to pay the $20-$30 a fish at the moment though. Perhaps when they drop down to $10 or less I'll try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store