Going down the poly worm hole…

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Nice looking bichirs bro! Are you not going to get them some tankmates for the mid and upper levels?
Missed this some how ?… Much appreciated man, thank you ?… Nope, no plans on any tank mates other than possibly more polys lol… the PBB use every bit of the tank top to bottom. They cruise around mid level quite often. They would most def. harass or try to eat any mid swimmers. One already ate an endli half its size. They also come after my siphon hose during turd removal services ?. Very bold and active species in my short time with them so far.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Bichirs look great. That Barton really makes their colors pop! Where were you able to find the 55 pound tubs of garnet? Last time I tried to order some (this was a few years ago) they said I needed to order a pallet.
Thank you ??… and agreed. The barton is a night and day difference for their colors. I got mine through Zoro.com … sign up for 10% off and free shipping. The 36CG is a bit pricey around $100 for 55lbs and the real down side is it takes an average 3 months to arrive. Took mine 68 days, but id do it again lol… well worth the money and wait. Looks much better in person. Theres a few other types/brands Zoro has also for cheaper that color up bichirs well but there more brown/orange/purple. I wanted the deep burgundy specifically. Found the site on here from other members.

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
clm08k clm08k , the barton36cg doesn’t photo well but heres some better shots of it in a nano tank i have. Can really make it pop with certain lighting. Its variegated from shiny ruby red pieces all the way to black. I love it lol…
D906EF37-87EA-4391-9C5C-CF183ADA6C93.jpegB14B03F1-AF45-472C-8573-A5802E6E17EA.jpeg2665E0A5-5AB5-4598-B4DD-58A44A7AA744.jpeg

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Great title for this thread! I read the whole thing! I haven’t been on here (MFK) much last couple/5 years or so. I do remember the OP and a few other guys (Hao). Great to see the OG’s still making this site great. I missed you guys.
I’ve been looking for PBB’s lately. Thanks for the info and great pics!
Interesting you only feed twice a week? I feed every other day. Also the meds you use. I can’t believe the worms that came out of your fish!!!!. My tank had hook worm once from some wild caught but never internal parasites!!! Crap, now I’m worried.
Very good information here, thank you for posting. I wish I could contribute something but I don’t have much to offer. Subscribed and here for the learning!!!!
Thanks 🙏

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Great title for this thread! I read the whole thing! I haven’t been on here (MFK) much last couple/5 years or so. I do remember the OP and a few other guys (Hao). Great to see the OG’s still making this site great. I missed you guys.
I’ve been looking for PBB’s lately. Thanks for the info and great pics!
Interesting you only feed twice a week? I feed every other day. Also the meds you use. I can’t believe the worms that came out of your fish!!!!. My tank had hook worm once from some wild caught but never internal parasites!!! Crap, now I’m worried.
Very good information here, thank you for posting. I wish I could contribute something but I don’t have much to offer. Subscribed and here for the learning!!!!
Thanks 🙏
O.G. Of og’s 👊💀… always happy too see u still around these parts as well Egon! U inspired me in my early days here on the forum. Happy to return the favor after all these yrs lol…
Don’t have the water volume i once did in my “hay day” here, but once a fish hoarder… always a fish hoarder 😂
I’ve been feeding only once a week now for several years. I honestly only turn my tank lights on once a week also to save a bit of electricity. That regiment has worked well for me for an erray of fish species, even rays. I feed very heavily on that day tho. With my stocks being mostly large preds 18”+ they really dont need to eat much more often than that.
I do feed these polys twice a week now, they seem to have a bit faster metabolism than my usual catfish. One day is heavy pellet feed, and the 2nd feeding is light pellets and heavy on cut tilapia or shrimp as a “treat”…

Still learning how to “de worm”/quarantine wild caught polys. This is my 1st round. It seems like a “normal” issue tho. There known to have worms. In all my fish yrs. Ive never hit fish with meds as “precaution” for something like this. Always something to learn even when ur an old timer 😂. So far ive hit these polys with 2 rounds of praziquantel powder over 2 months. I did get them to expel more worms the 2nd time. Nothing crazy tho, just a few from the batch. I’ll probably do a third round of prazi soon here. Being on autodrip systems im probably diluting the meds too quickly. IME prazi is pretty mild and theres no harm in using it to “clean” a tank out if ur worried. The fish dont seem to miss a beat in feeding or behavior even during the treatments.

My initial plan was to really “pile” these guys up in large numbers. Highly underestimated how much they eat tho being “small” for what i usually keep lol… Can’t afford burning bags of pellets like i used to or keeping a dedicated “fish freezer” anymore. New plan is to just max out these PBB as large as i can possibly grow them.

I always wondered why the “old timers” dwindled down their stocks and tanks after a decade of having a full fish room. Im finally there i guess. When fish costs start adding up to more than a mortgage its time to be “realistic” lol… its been hard to cut back to say the least.

Reactions: Hao and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I always wondered why the “old timers” dwindled down their stocks and tanks after a decade of having a full fish room. Im finally there i guess. When fish costs start adding up to more than a mortgage its time to be “realistic” lol… its been hard to cut back to say the least.
Yep...comes a time when it is actually possible to walk through a LFS, see a really cool fish that you have never had and have always sorta kinda wanted to keep...and just take a good look and then keep walking...:)

"Possible", mind you...not sure it ever becomes "easy"...:)

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Yep...comes a time when it is actually possible to walk through a LFS, see a really cool fish that you have never had and have always sorta kinda wanted to keep...and just take a good look and then keep walking...:)

"Possible", mind you...not sure it ever becomes "easy"...:)
Intentionally haven’t walked in a “real” LFS for a good 6-7 yrs now lol… if i need a hit of fish crack i visit petsmart for some guppies 😂💀. Sadly it fills the need/void.

• Haha

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
O.G. Of og’s 👊💀… always happy too see u still around these parts as well Egon! U inspired me in my early days here on the forum. Happy to return the favor after all these yrs lol…
Don’t have the water volume i once did in my “hay day” here, but once a fish hoarder… always a fish hoarder 😂
I’ve been feeding only once a week now for several years. I honestly only turn my tank lights on once a week also to save a bit of electricity. That regiment has worked well for me for an erray of fish species, even rays. I feed very heavily on that day tho. With my stocks being mostly large preds 18”+ they really dont need to eat much more often than that.
I do feed these polys twice a week now, they seem to have a bit faster metabolism than my usual catfish. One day is heavy pellet feed, and the 2nd feeding is light pellets and heavy on cut tilapia or shrimp as a “treat”…

Still learning how to “de worm”/quarantine wild caught polys. This is my 1st round. It seems like a “normal” issue tho. There known to have worms. In all my fish yrs. Ive never hit fish with meds as “precaution” for something like this. Always something to learn even when ur an old timer 😂. So far ive hit these polys with 2 rounds of praziquantel powder over 2 months. I did get them to expel more worms the 2nd time. Nothing crazy tho, just a few from the batch. I’ll probably do a third round of prazi soon here. Being on autodrip systems im probably diluting the meds too quickly. IME prazi is pretty mild and theres no harm in using it to “clean” a tank out if ur worried. The fish dont seem to miss a beat in feeding or behavior even during the treatments.

My initial plan was to really “pile” these guys up in large numbers. Highly underestimated how much they eat tho being “small” for what i usually keep lol… Can’t afford burning bags of pellets like i used to or keeping a dedicated “fish freezer” anymore. New plan is to just max out these PBB as large as i can possibly grow them.

Thanks for the compliments! Great info on the meds. I have reduced the amount of tanks down to just two. But my two are about the same total volume as all my tanks back in my heyday. It’s just easier maintenance. I love the drip system! I feed my lower jaw (larger) every other day. My upper jaw tank gets fed every day. The more frequent feeding keeps down the aggression in my opinion. I’m very interested in some PBB’s thanks for the information on those. Especially the price! I can’t believe how much they cost. Now I know that’s normal and I’m going to have to suck it up if I want one.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for the compliments! Great info on the meds. I have reduced the amount of tanks down to just two. But my two are about the same total volume as all my tanks back in my heyday. It’s just easier maintenance. I love the drip system! I feed my lower jaw (larger) every other day. My upper jaw tank gets fed every day. The more frequent feeding keeps down the aggression in my opinion. I’m very interested in some PBB’s thanks for the information on those. Especially the price! I can’t believe how much they cost. Now I know that’s normal and I’m going to have to suck it up if I want one.
$195 from Predatory fins for PBB was a “moderate” price i feel lol… i paid $295 for the 1st one from them sadly. Seems they lower the price on stock after it sits for a few weeks so keep that in mind if u do order from them. Well worth the price tho IMO… the PBB are super active compared to my endli and lapraedi. They cruise mid to top level of the tank most of the day where as the others just hug the bottom.

Reactions: Egon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store