Going salt actually coral reef...need a little help

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
I already bought the live sand so im just going to stick with it but ima make a frag tank way later down the road ill just get regular sand for that tank...thanks man

Buying salt today and they have instant ocean reef crystals on sale for 15.99 for a 50 gallon bag...the one next to it is kordons, has anybody used that salt? Is it good? It has the water conditioner already added to it
I use Instant Ocean myself - it's all generally the same stuff lol. But as a money saving recommendation, if you check out Dr. Foster and Smith online you should be able to get the 200 Gallon Instant Ocean box for $44.99 or the Reef Crystals for $53.99 with free shipping (spend over $49 and get free shipping). Great investment, the 50 Gallon bags around here cost $19.99, and plus the box will last for a good amount of time. With as many tanks and water changes as I have to keep up with, it was a waste to buy the smaller bags over and over again. The box is four of those bags all in one box.
Just what I recommend! Because it's just a given that you'll need more salt over time. Better prepared than caught off guard. ;)

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
DO NOT EVER use play sand in a salt aquarium. It's filled with silicates that cause all kinds of algae issues when stirred up. Live sand from a bag is also a crock. By the time we get it any live bacteria is dead, but the damage has been done. It's not too much more considering the smaller size of your tank (I'm setting up a 240 gallon, which would cost a small fortune for the live stuff, lol).

And for salt go with the best bang for buck, which will be IO (instant ocean).

And good call waiting on the pipefish. There are plenty of awesome fish for your size tank. Chech out liveaquaria.com and they have a really good description and sizing guidelines too.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Ok im going to get instant ocean reef crystals might even get the 200 gallon box for 53.99...yea ive been all over liveaquaria since saturday thats where I found out about pipefish...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Scratch that im returning this...I just ordered on amazon.com a cpr bakpak 2r+ for only 20 dollars more

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
DO NOT EVER use play sand in a salt aquarium. It's filled with silicates that cause all kinds of algae issues when stirred up.
I have yet to have a major algae issue by using play sand over the past 10 years. I've got a 20-Gallon right in from of me setup at the beginning of May as my venomous tank as a prime example; not including the two year old 60 Gallon setup. Wash through it plenty of times, and it works wonders.

CPR is a very good company, I've heard many good things from them. Currently I'm using a CPR Mini Tumbler on my main 60-Gallon setup to help with Nitrates - great results.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Just to let everyone know im setting the tank up as soon as the protein skimmer comes in the mail...im selling my 5 star general breeding pair and making that 20 gallon a coral tank...using my 30 to upgrade my electric blue dempsey breeding pair tank that they are in...if I am successful with the 20 gallon I will upgrade to something bigger than 30...thanks everyone for the help I truly appreciate it

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store