Going to get 4 12inch clown loaches

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
If you've grown them that fast, you're in the minority. I'll report back when my 6 year olds reach 12 inches in another 6 years....Watch this space :eek:
Like I said in another post I’ve never grown one out to that in a short amount of time but some hobbiest have said to have. I have had fast growth in young loaches like I also mentioned. So how big is your loach now? What size tank has he been growing in up until now and did you buy it as a baby. I bought a batch of loaches awhile ago where the biggest was 11inches, next size was 10inch, next was 9inch and all raised from 1inch in a 180gal... all 9years old and thick bodies. I think there’s to many things that play a factor in why some people have better growth then others. I also picked up a clown that is now 7.5years old but was only 6inch. I’d like to know the growth secret past the 7inch mark.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
So how big is your loach now? What size tank has he been growing in up until now and did you buy it as a baby. I bought a batch of loaches awhile ago where the biggest was 11inches, next size was 10inch, next was 9inch and all raised from 1inch in a 180gal... all 9years old and thick bodies
Mine were small when I got them, 1-2 inch I can't remember. They started off in a 100G tank and are now in a 240G. The biggest in 6 years from that group is about 9 inch. All the rest from that group are smaller. 5 years ago I bought a rescue 5 inch loach, so far she's grown to around 10 inch and is the biggest I have, also the only gravid loach I have.

She's got to be way older than 6 years but I wouldn't know how old she was when I got her as a 5 incher. At that time I had my previous group for just about a year and they were all way smaller. One of the loaches my initial group, essentially way younger, is now only slightly smaller than her.The two of them stick together a lot. I got some more loaches last year to make a group of total 13 loaches. From the latest additions a small loach I got start of October 2016 is now about 4 inch as of April 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Time lapse of the loach I bought as a 5 incher

On the day of purchase. 2013...was left in a 10G tank in a local shop. I passed by it for 2 weeks until I bit the bullet...

6 months later in my tank in 2013

Then a video of her in 2015, the biggest of the 3 playing.

A drab video of her in 2016 when moved to my pond as their tank broke down. She's fighting the pleco, lol.

Also in 2016, not very clear but you see the size better. What you see there is the loach in question here, and the rest are about 5 year old at the time except for 1 which I only got in 2015 I think.

And she also appears on the below in 2017, a bit harder to take videos in a pond and the fish look smaller than they are. She's the gravid loach, has been like that since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus and FunWow!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
So when someone tells me they've grown 12 inch clown loaches for X amount of years, and not one picture or video to prove their point, please excuse me if I am doubtful. And I didn't even own a smart phone up until 2 years ago, lol, so I am not the best with technology either but I found my ways..

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Nice updates on them. I get what your saying but there’s a lot of keepers out there that just don’t care about sharing info let alone posting pics of there fish so it can always be thought of as hear say to anyone cause it’s hard to really prove unless you document like what your doing. You can tell just by the clowns you own how some just grow slow and some grow a lot faster. I’d love to know how fast clowns grow from a baby to a adult size in the wild but there’s no way to even be able to document a individual fish like that in its natural habitat.

Reactions: Coryloach

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
.......... and there's a lot of keepers that talk out of their arse.

There's another recent thread on the subject of growth, where I posted the following.

Sex, genetics, social hierarchy, etc, determine growth rates among clown loaches, with every group typically having those that are smaller, and/or larger than the rest of the group - even if all raised from the same size, under the same conditions, eating the same quantity of food. I have kept CL's for many years, including in species only tanks, and this appears to be quite common.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The only way you'd get a group of large loaches of around the same size is if you cherry pick them at big sizes. The growth rate otherwise varies wildly and is very individual, some grow like weed, some don't.

but there’s a lot of keepers out there that just don’t care about sharing info let alone posting pics of there fish
Those that "don't like" sharing pictures, don't have anything to show at present.

Reactions: FunWow!

lee1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
paradise
The only way you'd get a group of large loaches of around the same size is if you cherry pick them at big sizes. The growth rate otherwise varies wildly and is very individual, some grow like weed, some don't.

Those that "don't like" sharing pictures, don't have anything to show at present.
My thing is this if you’re willing to share info on a public forum why not also share pics ? It’s not that difficult and I’m not a tech kinda guy either ... I took pics of mine right out of the box also made my wholesaler do so with a tape before I bought them ... most guys 8 inches is really 5 and Asians are the worse and I’m Asian lol especially when it came to discus

lee1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
paradise
Update on 4 big big loaches .. it’s been close to 2 months and all 4 are finally eating well and staying out in the open , I was a little concerned that they weren’t even moving during feeding time .. They all eat market shrimp pellets and frozen brine and bloodworms now with gusto ...
definitely need to be patient with the bigger guys versus the little ones that eat from day 1

CDEDDA86-18CA-4B5C-A852-19E3254FDBA6.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store