Gold fish eye popping out

JessicaS.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
My gold fish hut his/her eye when we first got it. We treated it and while we are sure it's blind in that eye it's been doing well for the last 5 years. About month ago I realized its eye was wiggly so I I took it out and put it in a 10gallon hospital tank. I treated it with API Melafix but it got worse. Now it's got some sort of black growth behind its eye pushing it out farther. I did some research and have been treating it with Seachem KanaPlex it seamed to be getting better but now in the last few days the black growth is getting worse again. I don't know what to do. I change half the water every 48hours as directed on the meds. Other then the eye the fish seems fine it eats swims and plays in the bubbles from the air stone like it always had
The water peramiters seem ok when I test them:
Ammonia-0.0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm
Nitrites-0.0ppm
PH-7.5
We do have hard water but it has never seemed to bothe any of the fish we have 7 other goldfish a beta and 10 neons is 4 other tanks no problems with any of them. I'm attaching a picture if anyone has any ideas I would be so thank ful I'm totally at a loss as what to do next.IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1468.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try an Epsom salt bath. One teaspoon per 5 gallons of water for 30 mins.

JessicaS.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
how often can I do the epsom salt baths. Daily? I've been doing it everothrr day with the water changes. I take out half his water add the epsom salt to that put the fish in then add fresh treated water to the tank then put him back in the tank. No change yet but it's not getting any worse(so that's a start I hope) Does anyone have any other ideas or any idea what the black stuff in the eye socket might be?

Thanks for the help

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I personally would add the Epsom to main tank as long as other tankmates arent sensitive. As far as the blackness in eye, not sure; there are nematodes and other parasites that infect eyes. I personally havent witnessed pop eye to this extent in any of my golds/koi

JessicaS.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I personally would add the Epsom to main tank as long as other tankmates arent sensitive. As far as the blackness in eye, not sure; there are nematodes and other parasites that infect eyes. I personally havent witnessed pop eye to this extent in any of my golds/koi
He is in a 10gallon hospital tank by himself. Do I use the same amount 1tsp per 5gallons?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store