Golden Gar!!!

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I'd love to catch one. I once had a dozen small (8 inch) spotted gar in one net after throwing a cast net for bait. I also had caught two foot long longnose gar. I've kept many gar in tanks and released them after they got too big but I most certainly would keep a golden or melanistic gar because of its rarity and beauty.

This coming year is all about monster bowfin though.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'd love to catch one. I once had a dozen small (8 inch) spotted gar in one net after throwing a cast net for bait. I also had caught two foot long longnose gar. I've kept many gar in tanks and released them after they got too big but I most certainly would keep a golden or melanistic gar because of its rarity and beauty.

This coming year is all about monster bowfin though.
try night fishing for them!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do they mostly hang in the shallows at night?
No idea about bowfin , think they mostly hang by cover, at least that's what I'm told by people who night fish for them, they describe it as like bass fishing,but more extreme(fight wise)

With gar though I fish in the top foot or two of water ,as this is where they tend to feed

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Both bowfin and gar are extremely easy to fish for. Bowfin you want to use the largest worms available and put all of it on the hook. Drop it right to the bottom and wait. You will be battling with catching catfish as well but can almost guarantee a bowfin. This has worked mid day in my expierience as well as at night. I always fished near structures, a culvert outlet involving a weak current was always the best.

Gar I have found the easiest to catch during spawning season where they would move into the shallows. At this point you could honestly net one with little effort. When not in spawning season, fish 1-4ft of water. I used a nylon rope sewn at one end with a light jig head inside. The gars teeth would get entangle in the rope. I found the rope fairly easy to remove. If a few threads remain in the teeth, the gar will shake them off through time in the aquarium.

Ggh9{2

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2021
Is it sold I really want it I have been looking for one for days, also is it alive or not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store