Goonch Catfish (Bagarius) ID and Care Guide 1.01

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
HLG is known to get really dark marks as well. Without capture location being listed, I hesitate to attempt to make a diagnosis on a pic like that.
Like all fish, it also depends on their environment. I've had HLG's that were extremely dark but then become very light and then that almost completely patternless HLG that suddenly turned darker and darker as it grew.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm inclined to think rutilus, but at that small size, it's very easy for anyone to be wrong with these.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Ok.
I was told the first one is rutilus and the second one is bagarius bagarius.
Are you sure that the second one is no bagarius bagarius?
They get to big for me.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ok.
I was told the first one is rutilus and the second one is bagarius bagarius.
Are you sure that the second one is no bagarius bagarius?
They get to big for me.
That's a terrible picture so I can't say for certain (and I hold myself to a very high standard when it comes to saying for certain).

I'll put it this way- if I wanted to buy an Indochina, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of those fish. I'm 100% certain on the top one and like 93% certain for the second one. That being said, I can and sometimes do change my opinion on a specimen when going from a bad pic to a good pic. It's not impossible the bottom fish could be a HLG, but that pic is just not ideal.

If you want a mediumish goonch, try for the top one. If you want a smallish goonch, keep looking for a rutilus (who can also get fairly large, but take a very long time to do so).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store