Goonch Catfish (Bagarius) ID and Care Guide 1.01

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Will fatten out and when it does it should get a much more cylindrical shaped body, currently quite “flattened”.
This in my opinion is what was called bagarius sp. Indochina which then changed to B. lica.
Nice looking fish, not one of the small ones!

Goban

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
jakarta
Anyone can help me to identify my albino goonch ? I have kept a lot of goonch before including indonesian (both borneo and sumatra) , indian , dwarves and some thai suchus but i seem to be having difficulty in ID ing this albino guy , my best guess is rutilus since body anatomy is closest to a rutilus and nothing like the indian ones.9CF16289-C7A3-4D25-88ED-99D9B22806A0.jpeg

Reactions: wednesday13

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Would the smallest Goonch species fit in a 55-gallon tank long term?
Sp.dwarf? Doesn’t exceed more than 10” if I’m not mistaken, and probably would be able to fit in your 55g as they don’t move much. However it is extremely hard to come by. I’m not sure the fish expo you would go to would have it. I have never seen one personally irl before.
most of the time the commons ones sold are sp. bagarius bagarius or sp. Indochina / sp. yarelli (classified under b.Lica now) around my southeast Asian region.
However I don’t think you have the right conditions for a goonch, they require high flowing water.
I used to have a sp.indochina, didn’t even last a week even though I gave it the right conditions such as a strong current flow and proper foods. Never ate when I kept it. The picture below:

IMG_3634.jpeg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Combine

Feeder Fish
Feb 29, 2024
Hello,

i bought a Bagarius labeled as "Bagarius bagarius" with a maximum size of 25cm.

The fish should be a Bagarius sp. Indochina if im right. (he is 20cm right now)
i have a few questions about it:
-how big do they get? (i assume 1,5m)
-how fast do they grow?
-what is the water temperature in the natural habitat? (im at 24°C)

i also have some general questions:
-why are bagarius Indochina and yarelli both classified as bagarius Lica now? as they are quite different
-is there somewhere a photo of a big indochina around max size?
-how different are the growth rates between indochina and yarelli?

i hope someone can answer the questions
Thanks in advance

View attachment 20240301_133436.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store