Goonch catfish in cold water pond

Fish_guygobies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Hello all, I was curious about something. Since goonch catfish are considered cold water, cold they live in an outdoor pond in NY year round? Of course with a powerful aireator and a powerhead if neccesary. Is it possible or is it too cold?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Lowest temp range for the Goonch I looked up appears to be low 60's (Planetcatfish.) Maybe there are some others that handle much colder water?

I haven't kept one of these, but 64 doesn't seem that cold. (Trout for example have a preference for 48, while the common carp can be found at 37.)

OTOH, average monthly January temps for New York get down to 5. If the pond was very large (and deep) and had a strong heater, I would think it could work, assuming Gooch can last at temps much lower than 64, but still the pond has to be heated I would think and that would be expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with the above. There is no way. Highland goonch is ok in cool water, not cold water, not a chance in ice-cold water. But I'm not a goonch guy. Maybe one of those will chime in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store