goonch grow out

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
nice mate, I go quiet on here for a few months and your goonch turns into a monster!-)
lol a monster he is becoming and taking over too, just building a 5x7 shed to house his 260G (6 long 2 tall 3 deep) everything except the doviis are listed and going (let me know if you want anything hahahah), i'm running nearly 3k ltr per hour on his 55G alone hahahaha i have 3x 1800LPH plus 3x 1200LPH to go in the 260 should be enough and contemplating a sump too.

when did one fish just take over???

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
lol, fair play, that goonch lucked out and didn't end up in someones 180 with 50 other monsters!

your dovii are still your coolest fish though!-)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
lol, fair play, that goonch lucked out and didn't end up in someones 180 with 50 other monsters!

your dovii are still your coolest fish though!-)
yeh he did lol, already working on what ill be building for him next. basically ill be building a pond in the bottom on the shed lol. the 260 will be the dovii next tank as it cost me a hole £50 note lol, just the right price for a stpping stone tank for him.

i must get some updated pics of the dovii's the male never seems to grown then he faces you and you realise he isnt growing in length as much width and depth lol.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well he still on the growth train the new tank is becoming needed so putting my best foot forward with that. had to move more of his decore about to day as he started moving rocks to move around his fav spot lol.

this fish is so dam cool

i used to always wanted a crocodile as a pet, i was a massive reptile fanatic for years but this fish has cured me lol.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lol, gets as big as a croc, more expensive to house, more expensive to feed haha!-)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Lol, gets as big as a croc, more expensive to house, more expensive to feed haha!-)
Well maybe not, DWA licence can very from £150-£1k and that's yearly, then you got housing which is both an aquarium and a land section, with an air temp of around 28-30°c basking up to mid 30's on top of that I would say the 260G is the minimum for any think we can get which is mainly caiman. Caiman are cheap but not what I wanted hahaha chines or African croc which range from 200-1000 each. That before the cost of all the security, for both the croc and the building. All year round heating, up grade for the size ( twice the size of a fish the same length for land and water) then feeding, finding someone down here to help move it around when tank need maintained etc the inspection for a pet shop licence were bad enough but they are rothless when it comes to DWA, you have to set it all up before then my they can come round and say no and that's it (dose depend a lot on local council) and then they can send a twat from the RSPCA ( no offence but the ones in UK are uneducated right wing idiots that willingly take reptiles from knowledgeable people and then rehome them with people who have no clue) round when ever they like to inspect most don't even know what they looking at lol. I worked slot with crocs and venomous when I was doing reptiles the headache it can be is just not akways worth it.

The cat dose need large quarter and lots of food, but it's pretty much cold water, a good insulated shed and a bar heater for winter should be OK, tank is expensive but you get time out of them and until it need final size they are upgrades for the dovii. Feeding is lots of massivore and fish so fairly easy for wife when work are nice enough to send me away lol

On top of all that crocs aren't that rare in the UK if you can get a licence I can source one in a few day/weeks but how many people have a 4ft Goonch in 20year the first time I seen them for sale I brought one hahaha

Reactions: justarn

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Also i think it is much harder to keep a croc happy, since those reptiles are just a bit more developed, smarter and more social. So you should at least keep like 5 and get them something to do. Would love a pic of the cat compared to the dovii!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Also i think it is much harder to keep a croc happy, since those reptiles are just a bit more developed, smarter and more social. So you should at least keep like 5 and get them something to do. Would love a pic of the cat compared to the dovii!
At the moment they are around the same length, cat may have an inch or two on the dovii. Now when they both hit 24" that will be an interesting pic but I don't see the dovii ever catching the cat.

In my primitive drawing/design/madman scribbles I have a tank that is one large tank 13x12x4 with a section that is partition off except for water flow from an overflow in only the smaller section would be heated and the dovii would be in there the larger area for the cat at his temp but working out how that would actually work is a different story. Maybe the out flow from tank could then be circulated out side to cool off before reentering the tank lol

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well ill be measuring him soon when i move him into the 260G, for now he gave me a big smile

just shy of 20" i'm predicting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store