goonch grow out

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
with out a doubt, but i suspect that when they are small (even 19") they may occupy shallower water behind rocks etc. he seem happy enough its just a case of waiting for him to eat
They go up into the shallows where the stream is coming from and they will hunt in there and catch things that way when feeding. If he sits in front of the current then I would say its fine. If he stops going in the current then that would speak that he doesn't like it. However being you just changed his world I would let him re-settle and see what happens. I moved the powerhead to aim at the cave where he hangs out and he didn't move but I think he honestly just hates light.

Reactions: hooliganATV

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well i finally got him to react to food so that's a plus side.

also i'm not concerned about temps as i found one of the male bristle nose on babies so they must be happy with the temp so he should be fine hahaha

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
so been all running for a few weeks now, with some cold night dropping under 10'c the water temp has stayed a steady 16'c through out so i'm fairly happy. feeding has dropped off but that's to be expected at the moment he just occupies one spot but he did that anyway.

water perimeters are 0 as always but with that much filtration i figured it wouldn't climb to high and with him not feeding there is very little waste.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
wow been so long since i gave an update or even been on (winter projects taking alot of my time)

so i added a tube (1ft 4watt) heater to the shed, still not insulated but no need the room temp hasnt dropped below 10'c and the water is still in low teens. lowest it has got to is around 8'c and that was with an out side air temp of about -2'c. so holding up well.

his eating is sporadic so at the moment feeding only once or twice a week. i expect this to pick up as it warms in the new year. soon as he is hitting food ill bulk him up again but he is over 19" and still holding wait. he is still active just not as much.

i will be adding some smaller fish to the tank soon but my fav LFS has closed down so finding someone else i trust to get me good fish takes time hahaha

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah where you been dude.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Any updates or pics?
no pics yet

Yeah where you been dude.
busy building motor bikes and trucks and stuff.

well i havnt really had much to update on until today.

so to recap

the tank has been running all winter. the only heating in the non insulated shed is a 40 watt tube heater that sits under the tank (about 1ft under) this is only there to take the chill out the air. water temp has been fairly consistent over the colder months getting down to low teens with a couple of days even down to single figures.

the cat much like a reptile went into a reduced rate, hasn't feed since december and from my knowledge has not moved from a caved area since dec. living off its food stores from the summer. water condition hasn't changed, but the lower temps has improved to oxygen content.

from my research the temps have never been life threatening to the fish and i would have thought the highland giants would experience these temp regular through their winter months with water temps into the single figures especially with snow melting etc.

today or rather the last few days we had a rise in temp, outside air temp into the mid teens and today in the high teens. the air temp inside the shed is 24'c water temp is around 18'c. today was the first time since the rise i have checked on him and he was out moving. he has lost a bit of body mass but again he is not underweight and he feed today for the first time in nearly 4 months so won't take long to get that back on.

is this the right way to keep them??
well i dont know im not sure anyone else is doing it this way but from my reading they are much like sturgeon in that they like colder temps and lots of oxygen (may make a cool tank mate???) but i see no ill effects of this certainly the closest to natural as i can get it. the water shouldn't freeze i'm sure that is too cold and prolong temps in single figures wouldn't be good but i think the outside approach will pay off also a much more natural feeding routine of heavy feeding in the spring and summer months but during the fall and winter very little movement and slower metabolic rate which would develop from low food source (in nature) in the colder climates. would be pretty much how it goes is my thinking. starvation periods like this will i'm sure cut down on fatty deposits and the like.

let me know your thoughts. once i get regular feeding back up and can entice he out of his hiding place i'll get pics.

now to find him some summer tank mates to help clean of algae and waste food.

Last edited:

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
So weather been amazing today, went up to 20°c so got out and gave the tank a much needed water changes did 50% but first checked all the levels and all was good. No climbs I'll monitor it over the next few days for a spike after a big change.

He even came out to say hello
Certainly doesn't look as soon as i thought

IMG_20170408_142051.jpg

IMG_20170408_142059.jpg

IMG_20170408_142115.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store