Got a red wolf!

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
My old one would eat anything from sliced chicken to prawns. Very angry little fish at feeding times, good luck with him and get some pics up. I've been eyeing up a one eyes one at my Lfs for some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It will heal,trust me,i´ve had a few hoplias/erythrinus in my days with even more aggresive fish
heal 100%? what were the injuries? mine are a few ugly fallen off blackened scales and a nasty scratch at the forehead. also all the fins are badly tattered. will the scales grow back to the same color? The scaleless areas are blackened.

Rovfisk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2013
sthlm sweden
heal 100%? what were the injuries? mine are a few ugly fallen off blackened scales and a nasty scratch at the forehead. also all the fins are badly tattered. will the scales grow back to the same color? The scaleless areas are blackened.
For example i had 2 almost 30 cm mala´s in the same tank,they started fighting and the smaller one hanged on the bigger ones head with it´s jaws,looked like someone had run a lawnmover over its head but it survived and got better in a few days.

I´ve had malas with parachromis species and you could imagine how beat up a 30cm mala becomes after asking fo a fight with a 35cm HUGE fat Jag.People can say what they want but smaller wolf-species are teddybears as long as you have anything meaner than them in the same tank.

With the fins and the colours i dont know.I´ve had snakeheads and polypterus who got badlly fin-nipped,it healed quick.But with sort of a differnt pattern on them.The mala i have now got fin-nipped by my big lapradei,it grew back quick and with the same pattern.But then again,its not nearly as coloured as a red/purp erythrinus

Stormowl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
KC, KS
Unfortunately, that one was also one of the most beat up ones with frayed fins and a few missing scales. There are also a few almost unnoticeable scars at the forehead. DO YOU GUYS THINK THEY WILL HEAL BACK TO NORMAL?
Based on this...a few lost scales, and frayed (not shredded?) fins should heal, and if the scars are almost unnoticeable now, they'll probably heal with time and proper care as well.

I'd make sure to add a decent amount of aquarium salt to your tank...that seems to promote healing a good bit.

IndyTexy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
Plainfield Indiana
I have 4 ea all around 8" -- I have posted pics of them in the past. I suggest that you feed them Nightcrawlers and shrimp. I have had great luck with both of these feeding options. I also ocassiionaly feed them beefheart and tilapia. I rarley feed them feeders.

JP

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys for the input! my baby wolf has completely healed and the scales looked perfect! There is still a nick at the tail from from a deep injury. i'll heal in a couple weeks or less.
mine loves to jump and it sometimes hits his head on the top glass. He has calmed down these days.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks guys for the input! my baby wolf has completely healed and the scales looked perfect! There is still a nick at the tail from from a deep injury. i'll heal in a couple weeks or less.
mine loves to jump and it sometimes hits his head on the top glass. He has calmed down these days.
Pics or ban! :raspberry haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store