Green terror have holes on fin

ewerk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Something is wrong with your water. Not only are the holes in the fins getting worse. He now has open HITH sores on his face.

View attachment 1519150
Your pic blown up some to see what I am talking about.

How are you testing your water? Strip test or liquid test kit? Are they expired?
I thought so. Something must be wrong with my water. Im using API master test kit. Hasnt expired yet. I didnt rule out on HITT and has been feeding him his food pellets with metro in between kanaplex treatment.

Will up my water change from now on. Thanks for ur feedback

ewerk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
To me, a 30% water change per week is very wimpy, and will allow deleterious material to compound over time, a 30% water change, allows 70% of the bad stuff to remain.
And each week that bad stuff gets soupier and soupier.
And meds are simply band aids that don't get at the source or root of the problem.
I would double, preferably triple your water change schedule and observe the result.
Especially if the schedule now, is the same as when the GT was a juvie.
As fish grow, their water change schedule also needs to be upgraded and grow along with them
Yeah my water change has been the same since having him. Will up my water change from now on..Thanks for your advice..

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So this used to get me. With the liquid test, the #2 bottle, of the Nitrate test it says to shake before use. Well that was a under statement. Picture a paint shaking machine, that is close to the amount of agitation it actually needs to get an accurate test result.
I say this because you said you had zero Nitrates. A tank with zero Nitrates is not a cycled tank. A proper cycled tank will always have Nitrates. It's our job via water changes to control Nitrates. We aim for 20ppm or less.

Don't be afraid to do bigger water changes. Especially with bigger fish as the waste output of an 8in GT is roughly equal to let's say 50 tetras.
Those of use with bigger fish use the term "fin level water changes" this is where we take the water down to a depth that the same as the fishes height. I did these every three days to keep the Nitrates under 10ppm in a 125gal tank.20210316_170045.jpg20210302_094433.jpg20210228_092355.jpg20201119_085231.jpg20200711_121949.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When doing your water changes make sure you declorinate for your entire water volume, not just the amount changed. Add the declorinator in the area that the new water is flowing into the tank. I have done this for years with my fish with never any issues.

ewerk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
So this used to get me. With the liquid test, the #2 bottle, of the Nitrate test it says to shake before use. Well that was a under statement. Picture a paint shaking machine, that is close to the amount of agitation it actually needs to get an accurate test result.
I say this because you said you had zero Nitrates. A tank with zero Nitrates is not a cycled tank. A proper cycled tank will always have Nitrates. It's our job via water changes to control Nitrates. We aim for 20ppm or less.

Don't be afraid to do bigger water changes. Especially with bigger fish as the waste output of an 8in GT is roughly equal to let's say 50 tetras.
Those of use with bigger fish use the term "fin level water changes" this is where we take the water down to a depth that the same as the fishes height. I did these every three days to keep the Nitrates under 10ppm in a 125gal tank.View attachment 1519160View attachment 1519161View attachment 1519162View attachment 1519163View attachment 1519164
Nice tank setup..good looking Red Devil u have there..Will surely practise this 'fin level water changes'..really appreciate your advice..

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store