Green Terror hitting Aquarium Lid

NWCichlidAddict07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
Brigham City, UT 84302
I have been Keeping central and south american cichlid species, large species since i was around 8 and i am now twenty i have always wanted a large show quality Green Terror i have purchased them at small sizes but never had any luck before them getting killed so last May i finally caved and ordered two 10inch green terrors for my 150 gallon tank as a birthday present to myself finally after months of trying to get them in stock i finally got one in this last tuesday i was so ecstatic i had problems within the first few hours and had to rehome my 9 inch female tiger oscar after she tried to court him she then turned to attack mode so she went to live with a friend of mine and the green terror had several large bite marks on his side (not a happy fish keeper considering i payed 50 bucks for him and the oscar was free) but now he has a really nasty wound on his head because he gets watching the food floating on the surface of the water or even the bubbles on the surface and keeps jumping and hitting the lid with alot of force... i am worried that he might end up developing a fungal infection because of it i am considering supergluing or siliconing some window mesh to the inside of my lighted hoods to give him a little cushion and netting to slow him down what are your thoughts? P.S. i have you used this forum for so many helpful tips and tricks but cant find much info on this issue alsewhere and this is my first post...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have been Keeping central and south american cichlid species, large species since i was around 8 and i am now twenty i have always wanted a large show quality Green Terror i have purchased them at small sizes but never had any luck before them getting killed so last May i finally caved and ordered two 10inch green terrors for my 150 gallon tank as a birthday present to myself finally after months of trying to get them in stock i finally got one in this last tuesday i was so ecstatic i had problems within the first few hours and had to rehome my 9 inch female tiger oscar after she tried to court him she then turned to attack mode so she went to live with a friend of mine and the green terror had several large bite marks on his side (not a happy fish keeper considering i payed 50 bucks for him and the oscar was free) but now he has a really nasty wound on his head because he gets watching the food floating on the surface of the water or even the bubbles on the surface and keeps jumping and hitting the lid with alot of force... i am worried that he might end up developing a fungal infection because of it i am considering supergluing or siliconing some window mesh to the inside of my lighted hoods to give him a little cushion and netting to slow him down what are your thoughts? P.S. i have you used this forum for so many helpful tips and tricks but cant find much info on this issue alsewhere and this is my first post...

Maybe try lowering the aquarium water 2-3 inches and put a little weight on the lid so you don't find GT on the floor.

Reactions: NWCichlidAddict07

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard :)

Reactions: NWCichlidAddict07

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Some soft mesh will work. Have you considered floating food? Also the cleaner the water and conditions are the better chance he has of pulling through without fungus.

Reactions: tlindsey

NWCichlidAddict07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
Brigham City, UT 84302
Thanks man ive always wanted to join up and get on the forum but never got around to it i know alot about keeping monster cichlids... i think the main reason why ive had this happen so often is the fact that the only fish ive ever bought that werent for sure captive bred is these green terrors and my pikes the rest i like to get from private breeders and friends cuz i know the quality of fish im getting...

NWCichlidAddict07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
Brigham City, UT 84302
Some soft mesh will work. Have you considered floating food? Also the cleaner the water and conditions are the better chance he has of pulling through without fungus.

thanks.. im excited to be aboard yah i know i was a little worried when the lfs called me and said that i needed to come pick him up cuz since i had already payed for him after they had quarantined him for a week i had to go get him after dealing with a bad ammonia spike and filtration failure a week before...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

NWCichlidAddict07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
Brigham City, UT 84302
well i have an update and will post pics later after i wake the tanks up in a couple of hours the green terror who i have now named buck cuz hes reckless but i just want say one thing first the resilience large cichlids he is now eating the pellets i feed at first he would only hit the bubbles on the tank or convict feeders i put in the tank and his head is already starting to heal i hope it heals up nicely so he doesnt have a nasty scar on his nuchal hump as he grows but it is looking better i guess he has finally started to get use to the tank he greeted me this morning when i fed them wich is good he was hiding everytime i approached the tank...

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
My red devil used to bang on the lids for a while but he eventually stopped. He does it from time to time but not like he used to. Give him some time and let him settle in. Maybe he'll relax after he's been in the tank for a while.
I do like the idea of lowering the water level though. I never thought of that. I just called mine a ****head and got on with my day lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store