Grow out tank question

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I’m still on the fence about the ornate and the ropes together. When the ornate gets bigger they potentially could become snacks if they can fit in the polys mouth. Typically people do not mix ropes and lower jaws. Although ornates are upper jaws, but they are part of the “big 3” upper jaws(ornate, weeksii, teugelsi) which are about the same size as lower jaws.

Are you wanting more than one ornate? Would say go for more than one if you are considering it. What size and are they wild caught or captive bred? Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 : digging the recommendation towards the Apollo sharks and Geos. :p Because of your videos I have a bias towards Apollo sharks too.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
First, congrats on the poly! $80 is a bit steep for a 2" ornate... Where do you live? You can order them online too, many fish stores will give you free shipping past a certain dollar amount. You can also try having your LFS order polys from their wholesaler.

The tank is massive for the little guy, but as long as you can ensure he finds food easily it should be ok. The energy cost to heat the tank just for 1 fish would make me put him in a 20, 29 or even 40 breeder as a grow out. 1 big sponge filter, bare bottom. Feed heavily and frequent, high volume water changes to keep nitrates under 10-20 ppm will cause super fast growth.

Those dithers will be eaten sooner or later. Instead of dithers, I recommend adding more polys (maybe 3-4 more) plus 2-3 mid to top level and tough fish such as datnoid, odoe pike, water cow, etc.

As far as aggression, ornates are known to be the most aggressive upper jaw poly and due to their size are actually good companions for the lower jaws.

You can get worms from your backyard (if your soil isn't heavily polluted), or buy from a bait shop, sporting goods store and of course Petco or Petsmart. In bulk, you can buy them online from Uncle Jim's Worm Factory. You can also start a worm farm.

For a 2 inch fish, you can feed Hikari sinking carnivore pellets (can split these easily). Blood worms and red wigglers. Tilapia slivers.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
I’m still on the fence about the ornate and the ropes together. When the ornate gets bigger they potentially could become snacks if they can fit in the polys mouth. Typically people do not mix ropes and lower jaws. Although ornates are upper jaws, but they are part of the “big 3” upper jaws(ornate, weeksii, teugelsi) which are about the same size as lower jaws.

Are you wanting more than one ornate? Would say go for more than one if you are considering it. What size and are they wild caught or captive bred? Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 : digging the recommendation towards the Apollo sharks and Geos. :p Because of your videos I have a bias towards Apollo sharks too.
Ropefish = Al dente poly-spaghetti

Reactions: jaws7777

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
First, congrats on the poly! $80 is a bit steep for a 2" ornate... Where do you live? You can order them online too, many fish stores will give you free shipping past a certain dollar amount. You can also try having your LFS order polys from their wholesaler.

The tank is massive for the little guy, but as long as you can ensure he finds food easily it should be ok. The energy cost to heat the tank just for 1 fish would make me put him in a 20, 29 or even 40 breeder as a grow out. 1 big sponge filter, bare bottom. Feed heavily and frequent, high volume water changes to keep nitrates under 10-20 ppm will cause super fast growth.

Those dithers will be eaten sooner or later. Instead of dithers, I recommend adding more polys (maybe 3-4 more) plus 2-3 mid to top level and tough fish such as datnoid, odoe pike, water cow, etc.

As far as aggression, ornates are known to be the most aggressive upper jaw poly and due to their size are actually good companions for the lower jaws.

You can get worms from your backyard (if your soil isn't heavily polluted), or buy from a bait shop, sporting goods store and of course Petco or Petsmart. In bulk, you can buy them online from Uncle Jim's Worm Factory. You can also start a worm farm.

For a 2 inch fish, you can feed Hikari sinking carnivore pellets (can split these easily). Blood worms and red wigglers. Tilapia slivers.
Wow such awesome advice on this site.

My 2 other tanks all have smaller fish in them while the 170g is brand new, which is why the ornate needs to go in there.

Guess I need to spend some more time thinking about tank mates. Are bichirs good with BGKs?

Reactions: FishBeast

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Wow such awesome advice on this site.

My 2 other tanks all have smaller fish in them while the 170g is brand new, which is why the ornate needs to go in there.

Guess I need to spend some more time thinking about tank mates. Are bichirs good with BGKs?
I know someone locally with a 9 year old BGK in with a large polypterus group. Dont know much about knives but that's just one testimonial.
bgk seem to work well with upperjaw polys
Any concern over a 4" BGK eating a smaller ornate?
shouldn't be a problem
It's been done. Here's the 9+ year old BGK.

20171023_113147.png

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store