Growth on tiger shovel nose’s nose??

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's likely a combination of all the factors you have listed - the two main are that the tank is not cycled and that the TSN has just been rehomed.

The water's cloudy because the tank is cycling. That's a known stage in the cycling process.

The white growth appears to reside where the maxillary barbel should be, which is absent altogether. Since it is not inflamed, I'd not worry about it too much yet. This fish is a runt, the usual cheap refuse from farming operations from South America or a poorly produced and raised one from SE Asia. So defects and poor genes are expected.

Just because you lucked out with the dovii and maybe other tanks doesn't mean that your practice of starting up a new tank is safe. From what you told us, it is not. Most of us have committed this error. Normal cycling time is 4-6 weeks. Quick start or other similar concoctions I believe can reduce the time by 2x, maybe 3x but not by 10x-100x at all.

There is no point in feeding the fish while there is ammonia and nitrite in the tank...; IMHO even if you detoxify both with Prime or ammonia with ammo-lock and nitrite with table salt.

The fish can be without food for several weeks easy. I'd take care of the water first - ammonia and nitrite must be at zero ppm at all times - then start feeding conservatively. I'd not add any tank mates whatsoever until things are sorted and the fish are doing well.

In good water, baby TSN tend to stay hidden. Their confidence will grow with their size.

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Thanks, everything else with my water is right except for the ammonia which is it .50 last time I checked. I’m dorming in college so i dont have constant access to my tanks unfortunately. Ill go back next weekend and do a water change to hopefully help with the ammonia. But wouldn’t that hurt the cycle time because I’m introducing new water?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks, everything else with my water is right except for the ammonia which is it .50 last time I checked. I’m dorming in college so i dont have constant access to my tanks unfortunately. Ill go back next weekend and do a water change to hopefully help with the ammonia. But wouldn’t that hurt the cycle time because I’m introducing new water?
Slowing down your cycle isn't as much of a problem as your fish dying, cycling doesn't take much time anyway.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Your tank is not cycled, bro. This means that both ammonia and nitrite will show up on tests. Not necessarily all the time and not necessarily at the same concentration - they will wax and wane and can even read at zero ppm and then reappear again easily over the cycling period I mentioned.

I hope you are using a liquid API test kit, not sticks of any kind.

Beneficial bacteria colonize and live on surfaces. There is next to none, 0.1% or less floating freely in the water column, looking for a free spot to colonize.

Slowing down your cycle isn't as much of a problem as your fish dying, cycling doesn't take much time anyway.
As I see you and I are giving the OP conflicting info on cycling time, if you will, explain what time you mean?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Your tank is not cycled, bro. This means that both ammonia and nitrite will show up on tests. Not necessarily all the time and not necessarily at the same concentration - they will wax and wane and can even read at zero ppm and then reappear again easily over the cycling period I mentioned.

I hope you are using a liquid API test kit, not sticks of any kind.

Beneficial bacteria colonize and live on surfaces. There is next to none, 0.1% or less floating freely in the water column, looking for a free spot to colonize.

As I see you and I are giving the OP conflicting info on cycling time, if you will, explain what time you mean?
Depends on stock, I generally only cycle for a week or two.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Depends on stock, I generally only cycle for a week or two.
That I could agree with coupled with the lightest of initial feeding routines and stocking density of 0.01 cu inch of fish per gallon of water, certainly not more than 0.1 cu inch.

I was speaking of the rule of thumb 1 cu inch per gallon stocking.

I apologize I didn't qualify my statement. If we don't explain our advice, it can easily lead to confusion like here.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That I could agree with coupled with the lightest of initial feeding routines and stocking density of 0.01 cu inch of fish per gallon of water, certainly not more than 0.1 cu inch.

I was speaking of the rule of thumb 1 cu inch per gallon stocking.

I apologize I didn't qualify my statement. If we don't explain our advice, it can easily lead to confusion like here.
Ah yes sorry for any confusion

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
You said you have a dovii in another tank. Just take some of his cycled media and put it in your new tanks filter. Should take care of the cycle situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store