Growth on wood in planted tank

ebakeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
Can anyone identify what this algae (?) growth is over the wood? Has also grown over the gravel in some patches.

Thank you!

74C7503A-4839-4EA7-AD34-E7C2515A3784.jpeg

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
blue green / slime algae I would think. you can siphon it off using air tubing as a hose. if you scrub it off, it could spread where it settles. You might need to increase water flow in the tank. What type of lights are you using and how old are they? What's your maintenance schedule like?

ebakeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
I have a Fluval Aquasky LED light, a year or so old (version where the lights are controlled through an app on your phone). I do ~50% water changes weekly. I have spray bars from my canister filters spraying across the back of the aquarium across the top of the water to the front of the tank.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
can you move one of the returns to push water over the spot where the algea is after you siphon it off? Slime algaes don't like current. Do you keep your lights set for FW plants or do you tinker with the spectrum output?

ebakeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
You got me thinking about flow, and sure enough a classic mistake. Canister filters overdue for maintenance, flow rate slowed way down. Cleaned the big canister tonight and ordering more filter pads so can do the other two soon. The two smaller ones I had connected together to share an intake/return, but split them again so they're both running, giving more them each their own spray bars. This adds more flow through each bar, and I adjusted some spray across the top and some spray down into the water too. Can see the plants waving in the flow again -- should have been obvious. Thanks again, this and some good siphoning should start clearing it up.

Reactions: Gunfleet

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I can't think of a fish or snail that will... maybe shrimp? I don't have any first hand knowledge of if they do. I think it's best solved through water chemistry, water movement and lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store