Growth on wood in planted tank

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
I had a good amount of it growing in my 5 gal (outside), what I would do is take some of the decor out that had it, and put it into a different tank as a treat. The mollies, guppies, shrimps, and snails would devour it.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I've got same on the sand where the nerites won't go, though I don't know if they will or won't eat it. Mysteries aren't interested.
Interestingly it's only in the area away from the structure (plants & bamboo) suggesting somebody over there is eating it. An RTS in the bamboo, one or two juv.shrimp (Macrobrachium?) underneath & an occasional sneaky-sneaky amphipod is persisting, it seems, as I see them in the filter.
An excuse to get a few fan shrimp (AKA vampire shrimp) at the river next week, see if they dig it.

ebakeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
I wanted to follow up on this in case it helps anyone else.

I tried manually scraping it off, with the Python running to suck up the scrapings, but it was back again within the week, including spreading over the gravel.

In the end I did two things. One, repeat the scraping and water change but then dosed Boyd Chemiclean cyanobacteria aquarium treatment, found on Amazon. Just followed the dosing direction on the box, and repeated water change after 2 days as instructed. Two, I added a powerhead to increase flow, and directed it across the driftwood that had the worst of it.

It's been a couple of weeks, and so far the aquarium is looking much improved. There is some algae growing, but as far as I can see the cyanobacteria is gone.

IMG_6343.jpg

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Funnily, I've had a cyano outbreak in my tank the last month or so, used to be my tank had basically no algae. Only thing I can think of that I've changed is dropping the flow setting on my wavemakers. So, I've bumped them back up to full, see if that kills it off.

Reactions: ebakeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store