Gulpers have white spots

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Had my gulpers for about 2 weeks now and their finally starting to be active, today I noticed they were covered in what looks like white spiny stuff. I don't really think it's ich but you guys tell me. (Pics are bad sorry)

When I first got them I noticed they had it a little bit but I figured it was from stress, iv kept an eye on them and today is the only day iv noticed it increasing.

View attachment 20170411_161728.jpg

View attachment 20170411_161700.jpg

View attachment 20170411_161728.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Only the first photo has some info but still very blurry. It's hard to say what it is but it may be ich or slime excess or both ich+slime excess.

They look terrible, sorry to say.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Only the first photo has some info but still very blurry. It's hard to say what it is but it may be ich or slime excess or both ich+slime excess.

They look terrible, sorry to say.

Ik sorry I have to use my front facing camera to take the pics because my back camera cracked when I dropped my phone, I'm trying to get better pics, it just looks like very rough white spots, like if you were to rub it it would feel very rough is the best way I can explain it

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
That's the closest pic I could find online except on mine the white spots are me noticeable and bigger, I was able to pick one and see if he felt rough but he did so it may be ich, I'm doing a large wc now and upping the temp to 84ish, I have salt but have no idea how much to use, I don't wanna hurt my gulpers

IMG_5564.gif

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Kind of confusing me because I had ich on clown loaches and some barbs a while ago and they were never as active as my gulpers are

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like ich. What's ur water parameters? Up ur temp to 89 degrees. Increase by 1 degree per hour till 89. Salt is 1 tsp per gallon normally if sensitive then watch and if starts to abnormal then do a quick wc.

The skin looks bad and I would just dose with seachem paragaurd. It should treat ich. My best advice.

Please get some better pics and post some water parameters.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The level of activity may not be amenable to a meaningful interpretation.

Before upping the temp and adding salt, it'd be wise to check the water for toxins and gulper suitability.

I strongly suspect something is wrong with your water, as far as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate go or as far as hardness and pH.

The fish also could be so sick that we are not sure if we are looking at the primary or secondary or tertiary symptoms.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Looks like ich. What's ur water parameters? Up ur temp to 89 degrees. Increase by 1 degree per hour till 89. Salt is 1 tsp per gallon normally if sensitive then watch and if starts to abnormal then do a quick wc.

The skin looks bad and I would just dose with seachem paragaurd. It should treat ich. My best advice.

Just did a 60% wc so, temp is around 84. I have paraguard on hand but do you think my gulpers will be okay? Also I run the tank on 2 sponge filters so will it kill my bacteria?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016

Sorry I did a big wc before I checked parameters. I have never had any issues with my water but are there specific parameters gulpers require? I read online they can tolerate a large array of water parameters

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
To be honest im not sure if they'll make it. It don't look so great. The skin is puckered looking and thick like TBTB stated. Paragaurd shouldn't mess with ur BB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store