Guyana piraiba

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
Hi everyone , I have recently aquired a pretty large group of B.filamentosum from Guyana . I got them in 2 batches , and different sizes. They are 4- 5 inches now . I plan on raising them together and documenting thier growth and my observations. These fish were being sold on fish lists as Brachyplatystoma sp. Manitoba. And seller said they are B. vaillantii which they are not . .

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great news and great score. Thank you for this. Yes these are lil' kumakumas (piraibas). I am looking forward very, very much to your posts and updates.

If you will, please, keep it all in one thread, e.g., this one. Many will thank you for it now and in posterity.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Awesome little monsters! Is it the four I see?

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
It's interesting that I've seen the term "Manitoba" popping up recently in reference to Brachyplatystoma vaillantii. This seems to be a misspelling of "manitoa" the common name for this species in Peru - possibly an autocorrect error
That makes sense .it started as a common name . I havent looked at fish list in a while , but when I saw a picture of this catfish associated with the manitoba name . First thing I did was buy some at a good price because of slight misidentification . I did tell seller what I thought they were when I purchased first ones . He stuck to his names though.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Wow! Love to see a feeding video when these get some size!
Awesome pickup!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store