Guys, I have an emergency...

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
+1 on going with a welded metal stand if possible. Wood looks nice but a well-made metal stand is considerably less potential for trouble (and you can decorate them with magnetic vinyl pieces if you want). Hope the team can get over soon to help get the situation under control and back to normal.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thanks everyone...my large tank is through Custom Aquariums. They now have metal stands and a new aluminum bracing system that supports tanks up to 2,000 gallons. Minimum deflection they say, which is an issue with wood stands that require additional bracing.

These stands can be broken down and have attachable sealed panels. The main thing is that if you use a stand that isn't theirs, it voids the lifetime warranty on the tank. So I'll be getting quotes.

Update on the fish:

This morning I put groups in clear totes. Boss (BP) and Cash (Syno) are in a 30 gallon, Chip (Severum) and Rex (Syno) in an 18 gallon.

Rex has injured himself and is in rough shape. All of the fish were sharing the tub until this morning. He stuffed himself into one of the sponge intakes that has a rubber band clamp. Somehow he forced himself all the way through. One eye is cloudy, the other red and cloudy. He's scrubbed on all fins and his body. There's a red rub mark on his chin. One side is worse than the other. Keeping an eye on him and hopefully clean water will do the trick without meds. He's still kicking.

Big boy Brick has the tub all to himself now. I moved one of the airstone disks over to his favorite side and he's enjoying that. He's pissed at me though. Gotta love water changes with a bathtub!

I did discover that despite the weight rating to 3600 lbs, the stand IS a combination of pine and press wood. It's going in the garage for pickup...hopefully I can get a replacement before too long. I guess someone could fortify it further if they wanted to, but I'm done.

It's ironic...I never thought there would be so many potential issues with this type of stand. I was originally going to get a welded frame from a Michigan company but changed my mind. After 7 months of saving for the tank I was losing patience and it seemed the way to go. I didn't want to wait another month after that for the stand. Now I realize that :

1. If wood gets saturated, drying out is essential. And I don't just mean to the touch. Then you gotta hope it isn't compromised.
2. Deflection is inevitable. Even before the flood I could see a settling 'gap' between the tank frame and wood lip at the top of the stand. The cabinet doors became slightly staggered in less than a year (about 1/8" inch).
3. Wet floor underneath can't dry out with furniture style if you get a flood.

And I should mention the stand does not have back panels. There are staggered 2 x 4 bracings underneath the frame. Will take some pics later.

Its possible that this design may have caused issues later anyway, I'll never know. But the deflection was obvious in a relatively short time.

Reactions: celebrist

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I hope everyone makes it through ok, what a stressful situation. You are handling it extremely well

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Interior is like a "T" Bar. No back panels. You can see the water damage. Base board shows water height levels. Top and mid parts of stand bone dry. Some shadings are the paint up top.

stand 5.jpg

stand 6.jpg

stand 7.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thursday night is when the panic alarm went off...you can see the 2 x 4 seam is opening up under the paint. It continued to the floor.

stand 8.jpg

stand 9.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Oh wow, sorry to see this! Hopefully it is all resolved soon with a new & improved stand. Good luck.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Oh wow, sorry to see this! Hopefully it is all resolved soon with a new & improved stand. Good luck.
Thanks so much. The folks at Custom Aquariums and Batfish Aquatics are super people...the Batfish team will be out tomorrow to move the tank on a dolly then move the old stand to the garage. Custom Aquariums is working on a metal stand quote now. I'm going about 3 inches lower on the stand (31") because there's a beam abutment over the tank on one side. Even though I'm tall, if I don't maneuver around the thing I bang my head.

This hobby is expensive when things go wrong. ?

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store