Guys, I have an emergency...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I can breathe again. There was a ticking time bomb involving the stand. As I suspected, it was holding water underneath the lower shelf like a sump. On the floor here is an INCH of thick, syrupy brown water in the exact shape of the stand. Keep in mind I was running fans and drying for a week. The stand acted like a reverse siphon after it absorbed so much water...it explains why water was literally pouring out underneath every day. Then it would ooze off and on. This stuff would have never dried out. The %^$* would have collapsed long before that. I'll never get a closed bottom stand again! I'm just grateful the stand held up long enough to keep the tank upright until the Batfish team got here.

My catfish Rex is fighting for his life, it doesn't look good...I have him in a net near the surface of the tote so he can breathe easier, but he's resting on his back. Too many of his wounds are suspicious, and I can't believe a sponge intake could do this much damage. I don't want to stress him by taking pics at this time. When I found him stuffed in the sponge he was jammed with only his tail out. So somebody made him panic enough to stuff himself in a floating sponge. The list of suspects is short, and I think he may have been wounded then tried to get away.

Waiting on the metal stand estimate, hopefully Custom can fabricate one before too long.

RD. RD. , I was indeed lucky...

floor 1.jpg

floor 2.jpg

dolly.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thanks. Once his body bloated I knew it was done. Final size 7 1/2" length, 1 1/2" girth...he'd grown over 2 inches since February. Everyone else is doing well in their temporary digs. Brick has started redecorating the tub, he dragged one bubbler disk to a spot and moved the biomedia around. I put his ball in yesterday, he bangs it around some.

I'll never know what happened with Rex. I do know it happened at night. The last time I saw him healthy was when he was pressed against my Oscar Brick before I got the totes.

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Latest news...

The order is in for the aluminum Lifetime stand. Color of the panels is called Natural Granite. Will be a 4 week wait ?

Batfish aquatics will help with the install again...they were trying to have the stand delivered to a dock location, but scheduling conflict made it impossible. Would have saved 50 bucks shipping...

Custom Aquariums now installs rolling carts under the stands. Unfortunately only for the wood stands! The sales manager was disappointed too, he wanted one on a metal stand!

Fishies are all ok...everyone gets fresh water every 2 days. It's super convenient keeping my O Brick in the tub, since he needs the most water anyway. Patch has eaten most of her eggs today, saving me a lot of work. She'll get a tank refresh in a day or two (she bangs the glass the minute I get near). Hot mama's going in a bucket when I clean her tank.

Reactions: RD.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What fish was rex?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sorry for your loss.... Fish pics? They are in a tub?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sorry for your loss.... Fish pics? They are in a tub?
Thanks. Frustrating, I never expected to lose a fish this way.

My BP Boss is in a 30 gallon tote. My Severum Chip and synodontis eupterus Cash are in an 18 gallon. My Oscar Brick is alone in a deep bathtub. The totes are clear.

Rex got destroyed when the emergency forced me to put all the fish in the bath tub temporarily. Something happened at night. Rex looked so bad I refused to take pics. I 90% percent believe my O Brick did it...he's the only one with a mouth that would inflict that kind of damage. In less space I don't think Rex stood a chance. He had grown a nice size, too. Cash has that tall featherfin which makes him more difficult to attack.

Will take pics later on.

Last edited:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to hear about Rex and this whole mess:/
Is the floor fixable?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store