Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpura Growout!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
They have a 40g patio pond for a pair!

I’ve been doing weekly wc of 50%. I guess I should up my game. Is there a possibility that they won’t pair? What should I do with the ones that aren’t paired?
Is their tank outside? Run a drip line to the tank if it is and just let it overflow.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
You should get a pair. If you don’t for some reason, which is a possibility I suppose, I can send you a pair of a trio of last years growouts that I still have on hand. Feed a couple times a day all they’ll eat basically and change a little water every day or every other day instead of once a week and they’ll start courting soon. What’s your water temp? I don’t think mine spawn until it stays up above 74 or so.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Is their tank outside? Run a drip line to the tank if it is and just let it overflow.
Tap water is treated with 4ppm chloramine. So that chloramine won't go away in a day or 2 unless he feeds that tap water into a container that is treated with water conditioner.

Reactions: C. Breeze

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Mine just had their first spawn yesterday.. the female was was in breeding colors for about a week or so guarding some wood in the back of the tank.. both parents now have black throats and have a spawn of what looks like a 100 tiny free swimmers.. wonder how many will survive in the community of 4 other terrapurpura, some bloodfin tetras and peppered cories.. Good luck with yours..??

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I also found a dead X. Variatus, could that be spawning behavior? I don’t see anyone paired up…and haven’t yet done water changes less than 1 week apart (away for the past week), however water changes will be every 2-4 days.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
They have not paired, but 2 are in bright colors. Everyone is chasing everyone around, and they are digging through the algae in the front of the tank. Is this what I should expect? I’ll post a video.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store