Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpura Growout!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm jealous. Your fish get to enjoy the outdoors while you still get to actually watch them.

I'm doing an outdoor glass tank next year; I want in on this fun. :)

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Slowing down eating. It’s around 70s here, and it’s been foggy/cloudy, so the fish are not eating as much.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I’ve been offering food every other day, as the eating is slowing down. Almost seems like twice a week is a better option.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Eating is fullly slowed down. Now eating between twice and four times a week, though I offer food every day.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Eating is fullly slowed down. Now eating between twice and four times a week, though I offer food every day.
Interesting.. I haven't noticed any change in my group's eating during winter... they gobble down as much as I feed, always at the top begging.. I feed once per day, 5 times a week.. They're in my garage, but I do have a heater in their tank set at 65°F..

Here are some of my group's offspring from the summer that a buddy is growing out:

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Interesting.. I haven't noticed any change in my group's eating during winter... they gobble down as much as I feed, always at the top begging.. I feed once per day, 5 times a week.. They're in my garage, but I do have a heater in their tank set at 65°F..

Here are some of my group's offspring from the summer that a buddy is growing out:

There tank is very cold right now, it has been getting to low 40s air temp.

Reactions: bkfamus

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There tank is very cold right now, it has been getting to low 40s air temp.
Is that typical for your area? Will that temp last for awhile?

Are you planning on leaving these guys out all winter?

My tankful of G.rhabdotus fry is in my basement now, water temp around 65F and it will be down another 5 degrees or so pretty soon. As nice as it is not to use a heater...it's kind of a disappointment seeing how relatively slowly they are growing due to the decreased metabolism, compared to typical "tropical" temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store