Hardiest fish species

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
definitely agree with Gars, Snakeheads, Bowfins, Lungfish, Eels, Polypterus and all the Ancient fish - they never evolved from "Ancient" because they never needed to. Also Convicts without a doubt - remarkable little creatures.

My 2 cents = Jewel Cichlids can survive conditions just as extreme as Convicts, and Jaguars can do the same if raised from fry to tolerate it. Many CA cichlids are phenomenally resilient. Green Sunfish and Rockbass can also survive nearly anything other fish would not. However I think my #1 pick would have to be the Flathead Catfish.....built like tanks, will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, incredibly hardy to water parameters, and even though they have no lung , I have personally witnessed them surviving 9 HOURS out of water and these were just little 26",27" and 28" juveniles. Imagine how long a 60-70lb fish could

Gaddisautoglass

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
I had a flathead when I was about 10 that lived in wheelbarrow in my backyard for about 3 or 4 months till we caught a good freeze over night, that same fish survived the hour walk from the creek in 100 degree weather to the wheelbarrow. He ate chopped up sunfish I caught and got a daily water change with no dechlor as well.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find Gymnogeophagus cichlids to be extremely hardy taking temps as low as 45'F up into the 90sF.
I had some Gymnogeophagus fry in a 10 gal tank and pulled them to give some away.
Turns out I missed a few without knowing it, and left the tank on the basement floor with about 3inches of water in it, not aerated or heated (that basement would dip into the low 50sF in winter) under a table, and forgot about it all winter. In spring I noticed some movement, and found half dozen hungry yet healthy Gymno 1/2 fry.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I find Gymnogeophagus cichlids to be extremely hardy taking temps as low as 45'F up into the 90sF.
I had some Gymnogeophagus fry in a 10 gal tank and pulled them to give some away.
Turns out I missed a few without knowing it, and left the tank on the basement floor with about 3inches of water in it, not aerated or heated (that basement would dip into the low 50sF in winter) under a table, and forgot about it all winter. In spring I noticed some movement, and found half dozen hungry yet healthy Gymno 1/2 fry.
i think I have YET to get every fry out in one shot anytime I have pulled fry out of a tank.....the little guys always seem to find the tiniest places to hide

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'd say for me, goldfish. I had three in a mini-pond that the surface totally iced over for a few days and they never moved during that time. After the ice melted they moved around just fine. I also had goldfish doing ok in 90+ temp.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
There are countless stories about goldfish won at a fair the grew to 12" and lived for 10 years in a 20g tank...but how many thousands died the day they came home from being a prize at a fair?

What about fish that can survive out of water? Snakeheads, lungfish, and gars to a certain extent?
I had a gold fish from a carnival, brought it home in the carnival tank, then moved it to a 5gl tank then to my dads 50gal tank. Eventually we moved it to our pond outside, and it never stopped growing it ended up a foot long and turned completely white over 10 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store