Has anyone owned a Dormitator maculatus (Fat Sleeper Goby)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Mine were marbled gobies, they get a little bigger, are less active and more predatory, One tried to eat my thumb once. The only one I kept for any length of time got to over 18" and ate 12" bass and channel cats, also cat food. also anything that moved, and the heater, and the filter intake, a couple rocks, well you get the idea. I got it for free after my favorite lfs at the time had sold it and had it returned 3 times. The september photo of the month was a marbled goby.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the info, though I've decided I don't like this fish and I'm gonna get rid of it :D

I thought it looked interesting in the shop, and I got a good deal on it, however now I think it's fat and stupid and boring.

Also they told me in the shop, yeah it's a tough fish, it'll be able to take care of itself in your tanks.

I put it with my snakehead which is about 1/4 of it's size, the snakehead went straight up to it and bit it on the side of the head.

So I moved it in with my oscars and wolf. The oscars hated it, absolutely hated it. They both chased it around and bit it non stop until it was just vertically hiding behind the filter, pretending to be a heater.

I felt sorry for it so I quickly setup a divider using an undergravel filter plate.

on Saturday I'm gonna part exchange it for the jardini I'm getting.

Tough fish my ass.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
as if getting a jardini will improve any of your tank setups!

once that gets around a foot its aggression will go through the roof and you'll be wanting to get rid of it too because you can't house it with anything

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
p45 - that won't be a problem, I'll keep him alone if necessary. I'm thinking of selling my wolf. The wolf is just not the fish I expected. I knew it wouldn't be active, but I was expecting it to be 10x more aggressive, and much more of a voracious eater.

My 4.5 inch channa is hands down badder than my 8 inch wolf.

And to be honest I'm more concerned with the safety of the 6 inch jardini I'm getting than my snakehead. My SH is crazy.

JaDeDrAgNn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2008
DeSeRT RoSe
I used to have a lovely couple of them but my evil military ex sold them and all our cichlids without my permission when I dumped him, left him out of state. He even put our precious K9 to sleep

JaDeDrAgNn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2008
DeSeRT RoSe
IMG_3993.JPG
(Pix not mine but my Sleeper Goby lovebirds look exactly like this one as you can see the shiny, sharp, metallic turquoise spots on both sides of their gills like the one in the pix)

*** If anyone is selling "Dormitator Latifron", please let me know. I've been looking for these Sleeper Gobies for a decade now and how I miss the pair I once had. I sincerely will appreciate even just by let know where I can get them. Mine had shiny, sharp, metallic turquoise spots on both side of their gills. Thank you and GODbless ***

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Blue grass aquatics has some medium sized sleeper gobies. Get while available if your in the states J JaDeDrAgNn .

Jamey1976

Feeder Fish
Jul 30, 2018
View attachment 1263088
(Pix not mine but my Sleeper Goby lovebirds look exactly like this one as you can see the shiny, sharp, metallic turquoise spots on both sides of their gills like the one in the pix)

*** If anyone is selling "Dormitator Latifron", please let me know. I've been looking for these Sleeper Gobies for a decade now and how I miss the pair I once had. I sincerely will appreciate even just by let know where I can get them. Mine had shiny, sharp, metallic turquoise spots on both side of their gills. Thank you and GODbless ***
I have some lovely 6 inch ones here in s. Texas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store