Has everyone been happy with frontosa?

N-E Cichlids

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
Ellenton, Florida
WWW.N-ECICHLIDS.COM
It will take a 2 - 3 inch frontosa 5-6 years to grow to breeding size. Tang cichlids grow slow because of the low temp change in the water of the lake. The lake only changes 2-3 degrees a year, where as Lake Malawi's temps change alot more. That's one reason why breeding groups of fronts are so expensive, it takes them so long to reach maturity that and the fact that out of the eggs a female gives only a few make it.

GooDyboy420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Wisconsin
www.myspace.com
i wish my frontosa would jsut grow crazy

ajl10spro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2005
TX
Fronts are great! :headbang2 Some even refer to them as the "King of the Aquarium". I have Kitumbas and Kigomas. Let me tell you that the Zaires are much more colorful. The stripes are more crisp??? and they are much more blue. Of course there are down sides...you need to keep them in "colonies" of 5+ to keep them from killing each other, often a little skiddish (but, can be trained to be more "friendly"), need lot of space...which if you are looking to do a monster setup this should be no problem. For more in fo check out these two links:
www.cyphos.com
www.cichlid-forum.com

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
ajl10spro;614686; said:
Fronts are great! :headbang2 Some even refer to them as the "King of the Aquarium". I have Kitumbas and Kigomas. Let me tell you that the Zaires are much more colorful. The stripes are more crisp??? and they are much more blue. Of course there are down sides...you need to keep them in "colonies" of 5+ to keep them from killing each other, often a little skiddish (but, can be trained to be more "friendly"), need lot of space...which if you are looking to do a monster setup this should be no problem. For more in fo check out these two links:
www.cyphos.com
www.cichlid-forum.com
Thanks for the info site..i never get tired of reading about Frontosa.. I love my Fronts..haha

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This is a great thread. I've been getting interested in some Frontosas myself. How slow do they grow? Are we talking about an inch or two a year?

carpediem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have 5 F1 "Mpimbwe" fronts in a 125. I got them about a year ago when they were about the size of a dime and now my dominant male is about 6 inches from lips to tip of tail. They are a lot of fun. I use salts to buffer my change water for all of my African tanks and my fronts color up beautiful after a water change. They definitely seem to like very clean water. They are pigs, eat anything I put in the tank and I have a pair of Synodontis eupterus to clean up the scraps.

I definitely recommend this fish if you have the room and the patience.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
carpediem;615397; said:
I have 5 F1 "Mpimbwe" fronts in a 125. I got them about a year ago when they were about the size of a dime and now my dominant male is about 6 inches from lips to tip of tail. They are a lot of fun. I use salts to buffer my change water for all of my African tanks and my fronts color up beautiful after a water change. They definitely seem to like very clean water. They are pigs, eat anything I put in the tank and I have a pair of Synodontis eupterus to clean up the scraps.

I definitely recommend this fish if you have the room and the patience.
totally agree and great info,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store