Heater for Rays

Tropical_fish_plecos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
Decided to go with extra volume. Got a 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 so I can put some small motoro rays in it. Any advice for a first time ray keeper? I know amnomia has to be none at all. Also they eat a lot. Heater can't be in tank Correct? What's best setup for filter and heater wise? How do I setup heater and all? Thanks. Any advice appreciated.

Tropical_fish_plecos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
Any basic to advanced advice for a first time ray keeper would be apperciated. What tankmates work with them well? Let me know. Thanks.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Motoros really need a 8×4×2 minimum, but your 6×2.5 will be ok for a little while. In my opinion a large sump is the only way to go.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Any basic to advanced advice for a first time ray keeper would be apperciated. What tankmates work with them well? Let me know. Thanks.
A lot of guys keep other fish with rays, I do not recommend it until you have a good grasp on ray keeping. Tank mates stress rays out, nip and bite rays...or get eaten by rays, add to the bio-load, and just generally complicate things. Rays are difficult enough with out adding potential trouble. Best tank mates for rays are more rays!

Reactions: Charliea36

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
You can put the heater in the tank but it must have a cover.
As said it's a small tank but ok for a year or so. Just hope you enjoy water changes!

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
You can put the heater in the tank but it must have a cover.
As said it's a small tank but ok for a year or so. Just hope you enjoy water changes!
You can create your own cover for the heater using some pvc pipe. Drill alot of holes on the pipe and make sure its lond enough to cover the heater. I built two yesterday for my heaters and it cost me 3 dollars to make. Compared to online or at a retailer you will spend about 12 bucks for one cover. Hope this helps

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Crazy...on the topic of heaters, I had a power outage last night and went around the house at 2:30 am checking everything when the power came back on. Heard a loud pop in the sump for my rays...heater exploded!! I acted fast and pulled it and all the pieces out...did a huge water change and added some carbon to be on the safe side. So far rays are fine. Really freaked me out!! Don't wanna lose my rays!

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Crazy...on the topic of heaters, I had a power outage last night and went around the house at 2:30 am checking everything when the power came back on. Heard a loud pop in the sump for my rays...heater exploded!! I acted fast and pulled it and all the pieces out...did a huge water change and added some carbon to be on the safe side. So far rays are fine. Really freaked me out!! Don't wanna lose my rays!
Dam thats serious. How long have you had those heaters

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Dam thats serious. How long have you had those heaters
Quite a while...couple years maybe? I lose track, so many tanks and so much equipment, I forget where and when I got stuff. Was my fault, heater was in a bad spot. Changed everything in the middle of the night while I was panicking about possibly losing my rays. Fortunately they are doing fine today so I think it's ok. I'm lucky I was right there when it happened and acted fast. The junk inside those heaters are known for killing rays

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Quite a while...couple years maybe? I lose track, so many tanks and so much equipment, I forget where and when I got stuff. Was my fault, heater was in a bad spot. Changed everything in the middle of the night while I was panicking about possibly losing my rays. Fortunately they are doing fine today so I think it's ok. I'm lucky I was right there when it happened and acted fast. The junk inside those heaters are known for killing rays
Whats a bad place or spot to have your heater i want to avoid making mistakes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store