Heavily stunted ID shark! HELP!

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Hey everyone! So, as everyone knows I got my pond coming soon and already have a 260g tank. Some guy is giving me a ID shark. He says its 12years old and 8-9"!! It was kept in a 4x1x1 and so he's asked me to take it which I readily agreed too.

If it genuinely is 12years old, it's got to be heavily stunted and if that's the case. How likely is it I can get it to grow?

My water chemistry is perfect and PH about 6.8.

I feed a very large variety of foods and have a fx6 as well as a sump on the 260g.

Pond that he'll go in in a couple of months or so is 10ft diameter and about 5,000 litres
Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would imagine if thats the case...the growth will be minimal if not non-existent...I am not an expert but I'd say being stunted that long there probably isnt going to be much hope for growth.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I would imagine if thats the case...the growth will be minimal if not non-existent...I am not an expert but I'd say being stunted that long there probably isnt going to be much hope for growth.
I had a feeling this was the case... well even if I can't get him to grow much... I'm hoping I can give him a home in which he'll be happy in..

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I had a feeling this was the case... well even if I can't get him to grow much... I'm hoping I can give him a home in which he'll be happy in..

Exactly, a bigger tank and better water conditions and who knows, he may surprise you haha. Either way his health is going to improve, whether hes a midget or not lol

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Exactly, a bigger tank and better water conditions and who knows, he may surprise you haha. Either way his health is going to improve, whether hes a midget or not lol
Haha true. Well, I'm picking him up on Saturday so will post pics when I get him :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Growth or not, at the very least it'll have a roomier/better life now.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Growth or not, at the very least it'll have a roomier/better life now.
Yeah that's the hope! I'm actually really upset that it's taken this long for the guy to rehome it. Also, thanks for the wishes guys! Will keep you all informed

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
It can go either way imo...i recieved a reported 7yr old channel cat that lived in a 46gal and was 10" (guy called and told me he had a huge shark to give me) lmao!....only took him a year in my 1700 gal pool to reach 30" 10-15lbs :)

I also recieved a batch of 15yr old i.d. sharks that lived in a 10'x3' 500 gal. Their sizes ranged from 18-32". Theyve all grown since being moved to larger tanks. Most are still around 20-24" but a couple from the batch are an easy 40". The biggens live in a 4kgal. You really need a substantial volume of water/space to revert a stunted fish in most cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store