Hello from South Africa (Green terror gender I'd)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
None of those will do much for bacterial infections. Epsom salt can help provide relief but that’s about it.
kno4te kno4te
Rocksor Rocksor

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
None of those will do much for bacterial infections. Epsom salt can help provide relief but that’s about it.
kno4te kno4te
Rocksor Rocksor
I think I found out what it is just by chance.

It's called Chilodonella, all the symptoms are the same. So I think I caught it too late.

if she is still alive tomorrow I will go get some kanaplex.

thanks for the help deadeye.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Just did some reading - malachite green or formaldehyde are the treatment of choice in that case.

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Hey guys.

I hope that you are all well.

I have a long story that I need to post here about me green terror and almost loosing him, but I'm facing a strange thing with him now.

I made a big mistake and tried to clean all the substrate I had, I think that I completely crashed the tank. Some how I don't know I saved him.

I put him in fresh water with a bubbler and some stress guard and he seemed to be ok.

That was a month ago.

A few days ago I noticed that he wasn't eating or pooping. But strangely it also looked like he was going in and out of a trance, almost going blind and swimming into everything.

I then put some Epsom salt in his tank and he seemed to come back to his normal self.

I did another water change to get rid of some of the salt and he has just completely turned strange.

It's as almost as if he gets a fright and the dies. I spend maybe 5 min push water through his gills and then he seems to come back alive.

He then sits on the bottom of the tank, he doesn't look very stressed l, he is not gasping or anything.

Then if someone walks past the tank he freaks out and then almost passes out and starts to float. I mean it looks like he is dead.

I then hold him and push him through the water and he seems to revive himself.

What is going on ? I'm an emotional wreck trying to keep this guy alive and I really don't know what the hell is going on.

I have moved him to a 40l tank and I have had to completely isolate him from any people due to him having these panic attacks.

Please help me guys I can't loose this fish

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Request Help

Green terror

Tank size: 62g
tank age: 14months ( tank crashed 1 month ago so had to cycle it. It's is cycled)

pH: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10mg/l
kH: 10
gH: 14+ larger then 14 on JBL test
tank temp: 24 Celcius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Long story.

I crashed the tank about a month ago by mistake, this fish was almost dead. I ended up putting him in completely new water and dosed it with stressguard.

I cleaned his whole tank. New substrate everything.

I used stability to get the tank cycled again and he seemed to be fine. The problem started a few days ago.

He wasn't eating or pooping so I put some Epsom salts in his tank as he is in the tank alone. After about a day he seemed alot better and more active like his normal self.

I decided to do a 50% water change to remove some of the Epsom salts.

I then treated the water with seachem alkaline buffer as the water I have had 0 oh

I think I slightly overdosed it to 19dh and thought this was making him sick as he was swimming with a tick. Almost like an epileptic tick.

I removed some water and replaced it with fresh water. This brought down the kh, but I also put in some kanaplex previous to this water change, and then added some more kanaplex to replace what I took out.

Since then I have had the most bizarre behaviour and it's emotionally killing me.

He looks fine on the outside. He is very lethargic and sits on the bottom of the tank.

What is bothering me is that he gets a fright or shock and almost dies. He becomes completely non functional, I then hold him and slowly push water through his gills and he revives himself.

This has happened almost 5 times now. After he revives himself it's as if he is blind and swimming Into rocks and tank glass.

After about 5 min he is back to being on the bottom of the tank. Not gasping or stressed but definitely not well.

If you make any movements around him he goes back Into that shocked state.

I have now removed him and placed him in a 40l tank that is in the dark where he doesn't get a shock from people walking past etc.

I have no idea what is going on and I really cant loose him. He is over a year old and in good condition.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

30% -50% every three to 4 days

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

No but I have:

Treated with kanaplex, Epsom salt and stressguard.

Tank inhabitants:

Just him

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

None

Exposure to chemicals:

Kanaplex
Stressguard
High kh level for short time

Digital photo (include if possible):

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Sorry I don't know enough to give any advice but I've been following this story. Hopefully these guys can get you straightened out.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Rocksor Rocksor kno4te kno4te
It’s just a guess, but it’s possible that the tank crash involved o2 levels to go down drastically and caused brain damage to the fish, which is just now starting to affect him. I’m not sure that there is anything that can be done if that’s the case.

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Rocksor Rocksor kno4te kno4te
It’s just a guess, but it’s possible that the tank crash involved o2 levels to go down drastically and caused brain damage to the fish, which is just now starting to affect him. I’m not sure that there is anything that can be done if that’s the case.
Thank you so much for replying to me.

I'm lost and don't know what to do. He seems to be very catatonic and he went from being subdued before I crashed the tank to really energetic and playful. The best condition I have ever seen him.

Now he is just a mess. Very frightened and is just not being normal.

I don't think it came from the tank crash, because of how much he improved after that. I'll try keep him calm and see how it goes

Reactions: Deadeye

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I wonder if you are going through a similar situation that my buddy Ray went through. My friend Ray was doing a water change on his tanks. He has around 20 tanks running. As he was more then half way done his water changes he noticed a lot of his fish freaking out. Many ended up not making it. He ran a test on his water out of his tap and the chemical consistency had changed drastically. High nitrates, lower PH, and a foul smell. Sometimes towns and city’s have drastic changes to their water supply that goes unnoticed by us but is fatal to the fish. Maybe your tap water is part of the problem. Probably worth testing to find out.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store