Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20-40ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Tank
Tank Volume: 125 gallon
Tank has been running for about a week
Filter:Fluval fx4
Heater: hyyger 500w heater and 100w marineland visi-therm
Temperature: 78 Fahrenheit
Stocking: 2 oscars and 1 electric blue jack dempsey

Maintenance
Water changes: once every week
I do 75% water changes
Water conditioner: api stresscoat+
I vaccum the substrate and water

*Parameters - Very Important
My tank was fully cycled before i added the fish in
I used api freshwater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:20-40ppm
pH:8.2

Feeding
I feed 2 times a day in the morning around 6 and at night around 9-10
I feed them 2 pellets each fish
Food brand: Hikari gold mini pellets
I feed frozen blood worms

Illness & Symptoms
Ive had all my fish for about a month and a half they were in a 30 gallon before and i moved them to a 125
I noticed my albino oscar doing barrel roll yesterday and i thought nothing about it beacuse i thought it was just the water flowing from the fx4 output but today i notice the albino oscar doing barrel rows at the bottom of the tank. I also noticed that he/she started sulking the whole time ive had the fish its always never sulked.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
my oscar is doing barrel rolls nose up and it looks like he has swim bladder isues like he/she tries to fix itself straight

i currently have him in a container to keep him straight.

761336-9889fbe4afda908761beb5a5c360df30.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How did you cycle it, a week is not enough to fully cycle the tank, so that is likely the root of this. 20-40 nitrates is high and likely causing issues.
Oscars do like to act weird and do barrel rolls (and sulk when something changes) but you say he can’t fix himself, so that is likely an underlying issue.
That ph is also incredibly high. Good for the Dempsey, but will inevitably lead to HITH for the oscars.

Chuneng

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2021
O sorry i didn't mean to type 1 week it was 3 weeks with used filter media from my 30 gallon they used to be in also i have used bio media in the fx4 and its mostly all bio media in there. The water parameters i made sure it was the exact same as the 30g they were in before. Also im using ph down to make my ph lower but water im pretty sure its hard so the ph wont change that much. Im still dosing with ph down and the lowest i got it was a 7.8 and it went back up. My other oscar isnt sulking or showing any signs of illness and is swimming around the tank doing laps. Its just that one albino oscar. Also i dont see anything with their growth if that even has to do a thibg with it since i got them they were 1-2in and now they are 4 in

Reactions: Deadeye

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Your PH and nitrates is really high which is probably causing it. If your tank was cycled why is the parameters off

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store