HELP! Bloated Jag. NOT Dropsy. Cant figure it out

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I personally would do a water change and then add Epsom. I should really help. I like to also add frozen brine shrimp and that will work as a laxative and stop feeding any pellets.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
Well. He's in a salt bath now and to my horror once I could look closely from above it looks like his scales are beginning to stick out.
I'm really worried now that this might be all for naught.

I cant figure how he got this. He IS pretty old. Not super old, but probably older than 7. I got him already big from the LFS 5 or 6 years ago.

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

Last edited:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
That was, it should really help. heehee
[QUOTE="Wailua Boy, post: 7726756, I should really help. .[/QUOTE]

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
This fish is still acting completely normal. As if nothing is wrong with him. I did a 90% water change. Used carbon to remove all meds. So I'll just keep feeding epsom soaked pellets (he won't eat other foods like brine shrimp) and see what happens. He's certainly not aware he is sick. He is even still chasing the cats as they walk past the tank.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The epsom soaked pellet will only work if you are trying to treat for an internal parasite. An epsom salt bath will draw out fluid and will reduce swelling. I wouldnt remove fish from tank but add to main tank as long as your other fish arent salt intolerent. What do you feed this fish?

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
luckily he's the only fish in the tank.
I still cant figure out if its parasitic or not. i have no symptoms other than the bloated stomach. his scales arent really protruding more than in that picture still. he's still acting normal...

I'll stop feeding him and try treating the tank with epsom salt like you said and see if anything happens.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
The epsom soaked pellet will only work if you are trying to treat for an internal parasite. An epsom salt bath will draw out fluid and will reduce swelling. I wouldnt remove fish from tank but add to main tank as long as your other fish arent salt intolerent. What do you feed this fish?
what's the dosage for epsom salt for treating the tank? I keep seeing different dosage amounts wherever i look. Some say 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons all the way up to 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons...???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store