HELP!!! Cherry shrimp dying off!!!

Hybridfish7

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
937
744
105
So at a CCA meeting in november, I got 10 small cherry shrimp from an auction.
not the best color, but they were fun to watch as they swam around and ate algae.
The tank was mature, I had a fish in it before. I also made sure the water was in good condition for the shrimp beforehand.
My water is good for them, it has a lot of iron, no copper. It is also very hard.
The temperature is also good, about 75F.
They were fine until now, swimming fine, eating, molting, no signs of any illness or anything.
Now, all of a sudden, they are just dropping dead on the spot.
One red one (more red than the others) was just sitting on the sponge of the filter picking things off. The night before it was walking around looking for food, swimming around the filter picking at algae. I looked at it in the morning.
I come back from school and look at it, it's still in the same spot, but not moving anything. I poke it lightly with a straw (I know shrimp will dart away from any unfamiliar object that touches them) and it just flops over on to the sand below, dead and pale.
Nothing else wrong with it other than the fact that it was pale and dead.
I did a water change thinking it was something with nitrates. I do a 50% water change, and find two more dead. same thing, just dead on the spot they were last, pale. It's a small tank, so I net all the remaining shrimp out and test the water- it reads no nitrates or ammonia.
yeah that was a dumb move, doing the water test after the water change, but I was just trying to see if the water was safe for the shrimp to be put back in.
I put the shrimp back and they get back to their normal routines of swimming around looking for algae.
Today I find one shrimp that was eating algae off of a small plant. pale, frozen in place. I poke it with the straw, and it wouldn't move. Dead.
Anyone know what's happening?
tank is a 1.5 gallon planted tank with a hang on back filter, now only 6 shrimp.
 

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
18,084
16,865
1,645
Ohio
So at a CCA meeting in november, I got 10 small cherry shrimp from an auction.
not the best color, but they were fun to watch as they swam around and ate algae.
The tank was mature, I had a fish in it before. I also made sure the water was in good condition for the shrimp beforehand.
My water is good for them, it has a lot of iron, no copper. It is also very hard.
The temperature is also good, about 75F.
They were fine until now, swimming fine, eating, molting, no signs of any illness or anything.
Now, all of a sudden, they are just dropping dead on the spot.
One red one (more red than the others) was just sitting on the sponge of the filter picking things off. The night before it was walking around looking for food, swimming around the filter picking at algae. I looked at it in the morning.
I come back from school and look at it, it's still in the same spot, but not moving anything. I poke it lightly with a straw (I know shrimp will dart away from any unfamiliar object that touches them) and it just flops over on to the sand below, dead and pale.
Nothing else wrong with it other than the fact that it was pale and dead.
I did a water change thinking it was something with nitrates. I do a 50% water change, and find two more dead. same thing, just dead on the spot they were last, pale. It's a small tank, so I net all the remaining shrimp out and test the water- it reads no nitrates or ammonia.
yeah that was a dumb move, doing the water test after the water change, but I was just trying to see if the water was safe for the shrimp to be put back in.
I put the shrimp back and they get back to their normal routines of swimming around looking for algae.
Today I find one shrimp that was eating algae off of a small plant. pale, frozen in place. I poke it with the straw, and it wouldn't move. Dead.
Anyone know what's happening?
tank is a 1.5 gallon planted tank with a hang on back filter, now only 6 shrimp.


convict360 convict360
The Dave The Dave
B banjocat
 

Hybridfish7

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
937
744
105
nope, just declorinator. other than the water change I hadn't touched anything in the tank since i put the shrimp in.
 

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
4,499
1,868
164
Scotland
1.5g tanks are very very sensitive, if you do any water changes, I recommend 5% at a time tbh; if it's only shrimp in it they won't throw out a high load of ammonia.

I'd also look at the plants you've got, floating plants are great for pulling out nitrates etc
 

Hybridfish7

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
937
744
105
Ah ok.
All I have in there is some windelov java ferns... I have moss in my betta tank, should I take some from there?
Also another one of my shrimp died today.
I find that only the red ones are dying.
Like I said they aren't the best quality RCS, so some are red some are clear with no color. All the clear ones are still alive.

well here's the best pic i could get of the dead shrimp, if it matters at all...
I just have a webcam on a chromebook, so my pics aren't the best.
 
Last edited:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
Moderator
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
9,335
3,474
478
----
Honestly, in a tank that size im guessing temprature fluctuations are possibly whats killing your shrimp...

Cherries are some of the hardiest of the dwarf shrimp and if as you say nothing is exposed to the tank the only thing i can think of is tank temp...

For 1.5G even water changes will throw off chemistry of water and temps, so thats probably your problem...

Last but not least, i would suggest at least 5-10G for dwarf shrimps so you can more easily control tank temps and water parameters, since as you already know, they like very stable water conditions...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Drstrangelove

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
Moderator
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
9,729
10,484
438
South Africa
Same on pic. Shrimp are crazy sensitive to water fluctuations and aren't big fans of large water changes. By any chance did they have grey/orange insides?
 

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
4,499
1,868
164
Scotland
Just to add, it is possible to keep shrimp in a 1.5g, even more sensitive types; but you have to really micro manage. If you're new to shrimp, safest bet is to follow Homers advice and go for a 5g minimum.
 
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store