Help! HITH that never goes away!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
So, the most recent Christmas, I took a vacation and left one of my friends (who is also in the hobby) in charge. They did a pretty good job, but I think they might’ve over fed a bit. Over the next week, my bluegill develops a nasty case of hole in the head disease, so I put him in a separate 10 gallon and start dosing medicine. He has been in that 10 gallon since Jan. 17, as he has nowhere else to go. It’s been nearly a month of medicine and constant water changes, and it seems like the disease is at a standstill... he hasn’t gotten better or worse, but continues to have the deep holes in his head. I think I also might be using the wrong medicine for it, it’s called Fritz Mardel Coppersafe. It says it’s for parasitic diseases and that what the poor ‘gill has but it hasn’t really helped. Does it normally take this long to battle HITH? Maybe the actual disease is gone but the holes are still there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A4A7C2C5-809F-4DE2-B905-CB8DD44A396F.jpeg

72C1983A-3338-483F-82D4-EBF972B1F5F9.jpeg

pinfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2020
You could introduce the antibiotic metronidazole to the tank. I would also be regularly checking your water quality and try to cater it to the exact parameters your specific type of fish likes. Along with this, make sure that the fish is getting all the nutrients it requires. When my flowerhorn had this problem I used a little bit of aquarium salt, "Fish Zole" or metronidazole from ThomasLabs, and Vitachem from Boyd Enterprises. It sounds like a lot, and I'd start with one and then slowly work your way up as long as the fish doesn't seem too stressed out. Good luck!

Reactions: PGJE

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The craters maybe permanent if deep but if superficial then should recover. Takes a long time clear up. Thing to make sure is no new pits are showing up. That’s when u know it’s still on going. Metro is preferred.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Coppersafe is a great medication, but only for ectoparasites. (external) It won't do didley to improve a case of HITH.

There's a sticky on this subject at the top of this page on this subject, and treatment.

Good luck.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Alright, I added metronidazole to the tank, let’s hope I get some results!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Right now the disease is at a standstill... I’m looking through the pictures of the past month, and it hasn’t gotten better or worse... I’ve been doing lots of water changes and have added different kinds of medicines, I don’t really know what to do. I know that a large fish being In a 10 gallon for months can have lasting effects, so what should I do?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Right now the disease is at a standstill... I’m looking through the pictures of the past month, and it hasn’t gotten better or worse... I’ve been doing lots of water changes and have added different kinds of medicines, I don’t really know what to do. I know that a large fish being In a 10 gallon for months can have lasting effects, so what should I do?
If it’s not getting worse then that’s a good sign. Some of the craters and pits left behind will remain and some will get better. Take a long time to notice a difference. Keep the water clean. Take a break from medications.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
More than anything else, to prevent reinfection, water changes are in my opinion, the most important factor.
In a ten gallon tank, I'd be doing at least, 5 gallon water changes per day to dilute buildup of nutirents

Reactions: PGJE and kno4te

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Good news, after weeks and weeks of bad news!!
The first hole that ever formed (also the largest) looks like the skin is trying to rebuild itself! It’s not nearly as deep or white as it was before. I’ll continue to do water changes and keep him by himself and let’s hope to see more of that!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
if I look closely some of the holes seem to be growing back... I know that some will be permanent, so I’m just wondering when do I know when to put him back? A 10 gallon certainly isn’t the life for a bluegill but I don’t want him to infect the other fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store