HELP! I think my cichlid was miss identified!

hcruse13

Feeder Fish
Apr 24, 2020
Hi, I'm new to the forum! I recently purchased a "Texas" Cichlid from a local pet store but after a few days of being home. It is showing more coloration and characteristics of a flowerhorn? Anyone have any ideas on what species this may be? I'm new to the cichlid hobby, so please excuse my ignorance lol. TIA!

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 9.18.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 9.19.53 PM.png

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Probably a farmed hybrid

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I initially thought it was a red texas cull to me. Red texas come from a variety of crosses of Texas and Carpintis with parrot type hybrids, trying to select the ones that have a lot of pearling and fade to a golden or red color. This one has the parrot type brown barring on it's head and minimal spotting on the body, so was possibly culled out of a red texas batch, but sold, nstead of being discarded or fed to other fish. It could still grow to be a beautiful fish. It looks like he(?) is starting to grow a hump/kok on his head already.

On second take, it looks like a super red monkey with more pearling and a bit of a flower line like flowerhorns have. I have a hyphothesis that SRM are a result of a SRD flowerhorn over a parrot cichlid, which would make them a form of kamfa flowerhorn. In this case, the valuable ones are the ones that fade and have minimal pearling.

WhiskyInThe6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2021
Looks like a hybrid.

anyone have an idea what this is. Bought it as a Electric Blue Hap but looks too elongated to be that.

A9A59FD2-529D-4433-8A3A-33D513D91478.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store