USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Fishman Dave Fishman Dave

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I think you can rule out that it is a smaller growing species (~12") from the Volta River. So not a Volta variant which the one in this link seems to be

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I think you can rule out that it is a smaller growing species (~12") from the Volta River. So not a Volta variant which the one in this link seems to be

I’m hoping a larger species this guy was 50$ and only 3 inches and I’ve always wanted a giraffe catfish but can’t find out what species this is I kinda bought this one out of impulse for always wanting one which was a mistake but I still absolutely love the fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks stressed but maybe A. biscutatus.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Have you looked at the different species of Auchenoglanis on planetcatfish?
I found the species I’m pretty sure im gonna do a bit more research but I think planet catfish had the answer thank you so much for helping me figure this out and if it’s the species that it’s looking like so far then it gets 21 inches which is what I was hoping for

Reactions: Rocksor

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Looks stressed but maybe A. biscutatus.
Yea his colors were like that in the store when I bought him and I took this picture this morning when I turned the light on for the morning so that might have something to do with it but I don’t believe he’s stressed cause there’s times where he’ll be just completely gray but I do think his colors are light but not from stress and yea it’s a biscutatus I just found on planet catfish thank you

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I too want to say biscutatus. Yellowcat Yellowcat should confirm or refute.

If biscutatus, it is unlikely to break 1 foot.

The genus of Auchenoglanis is in a taxonomic limbo, so I'd not rely even on the reliable Planet Catfish Cat-eLog, until scientists agree (at least teamporarily), or more taxonomic work is done, or someone at PlanetCatfish reworks the current entries with the latest info in mind.

As it stands, I believe A. biscutatus are the slowest and the smallest growing in the genus, maybe similar to or aka A. senegali (A. tanganicanus too?).

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store