Help ID please! Polypterus dabola?

stonerhobbyists

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
Nabbed this little guy off ebay pretty randomly, had never heard of a dabola so I jumped at the opportunity before knowing any info about it, mostly because I couldn't find much online. From what I have read, this is very likely not an actual dabola. What type of bichir do you think this is? I'm guessing some type of hybrid?

ee.png eel.png

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s endlicheri. As far as Dabola I can’t say. Gotta trust the importer. At these small sizes it’s questionable.

Gotta see what the other members think. They should be replying soon.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A little endli for sure..

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
+1 what the other have said. Dabola, Tissinko, where ever elseo are all catch locations you may get some sort of regional coloration morphs but imo its not worth the extra $s. To get wild caught to not get the genetic mutations may be worth a bit but at the same time id rather have CB to not be pulling from nature. I know its not always possible but I like CB for those reasons.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
S stonerhobbyists . That endli of yours is just a captive bred/tank raised Endlicheri. I bought two 3-4" @ $35 from Wetspot Tropical fish store in portland, OR. That's the only going rate around here... impulse buy. ;--) just putting it out there due to cb endlis being less in other fish stores around the country.

The hard spine and finlet will straighten out as it gets bigger. Seen this on Ebay and the seller is taking advantage of the 'Dabola' name to entice the ad. Saying it's rare and a Dabola specie is INCORRECT.

Screenshot_20180604-100030.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store