Help my young. Noids are not eating

MegalodonSeason

Feeder Fish
Jul 2, 2019
So I purchase two Indonesian datnoids 4 days ago and they still haven't eaten I've tried brine shrimp bloodworms pellets flakes and still not eating but they are coming to the surface looking for food please help before it's too late

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Unless they're in really poor shape I wouldn't fret just yet. You say young, how large are they?

In my experience if young datnoids don't take to pellets or frozen foods early on I've had pretty good success using live tubifex worms and transitioning into frozen shrimp/fillet/pellets from there.

Coming up to the surface is a good sign, be patient, they sound ready to take something it's just a matter of one pulling the trigger and the others will lilely follow. From there competition for food should encourage more enthusiastic eating.

MegalodonSeason

Feeder Fish
Jul 2, 2019
Unless they're in really poor shape I wouldn't fret just yet. You say young, how large are they?

In my experience if young datnoids don't take to pellets or frozen foods early on I've had pretty good success using live tubifex worms and transitioning into frozen shrimp/fillet/pellets from there.

Coming up to the surface is a good sign, be patient, they sound ready to take something it's just a matter of one pulling the trigger and the others will lilely follow. From there competition for food should encourage more enthusiastic eating.
They're pretty small. The size of a quarter. So how long do you think they can go without eating

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They're pretty small. The size of a quarter. So how long do you think they can go without eating
Welcome aboard

Do any of your local fish store's sell baby cricket's aka pin heads? If so suggest buying a few. The little Dat's should instinctively go after the live little cricket's.
You want to make feeding anything live short term and still toss a few pellets in but not too many to sacrifice water quality. I really doubt the will eat the flake food.

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
I also bought that 10 babies one in few months ago... at the beginning, they didn't eat. but after few days, I feed them a frozen bloodworm. they ate them all quick. but this size of dat is really hard to keep. Now I only have 5 out of 10. So far, they are all good and more than a inch. Hope your dat get well too.

Reactions: LBDave and tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would not waste any flakes on them but keep it up with the blood worms and they should go after that in a few days after they get hungry enough.Then you can try starting them on sinking pellets.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I like to use small worms dug up from a dirt pile. I’d stay away from worms from grass. just in case there’s weed killers or fertilizers. I do this just to get them eating for a week.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store