Help or Advice: Scarlet Pleco Stomach and Anus look weird

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
Good Morning All, I noticed one of my Scarlet Plecos currently in my 180 Gallon stomach looks a bit weird and also his anus area has a small protrusion. I tested the water and ph was 7.2, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate < 30 PPM. I am strict about water changes and Filter maintenance and have been in the hobby for over 15 years and I never seen this on my any of my fish. My Water changes are 40% each week to ensure optimal water quality since I am still putting funds aside for a tank set up around 500-1000 gallons. Filters are Fluval FX6 paired with 2 XL Hydro Sponge Filters. The scarlet has been with me now for 3 years and was doing excellent. Currently the 2 scarlets are housed with a Silver Arowana (15 inch) and 4 Geophagus. I feed the 2 Scarlets in the 180 Gallon a mix of Repashy Soilent Green, Repashy Morning Wood, and Repashy Bottom Scratcher for a balanced diet. He swims and is reactive to stimuli (light and movement) but is anus area looks to be "throbbing" and his stomach area looks sunken (Let me know if I am mistaken or if this is how a normal Scarlets stomach looks as they get older). Any advice MFK community?

Stomach.jpg

Vent.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The stomach does look sunken.
I honestly can’t tell about the anal area from this photo but it doesn’t look red or swollen as much as it looks like a breeding tube.
A better picture of the area would help.

When you feed do you see this pleco get a fair share of food?
Is it otherwise feeding and interested in eating?
May try to change things up a little bit.
Offer some shrimp and talapia, mine love it.

Have you made any stock changes recently?
just trying to rule out sickness or parasites.

Reactions: kno4te

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
BIG-G BIG-G Thanks I can try prawns but i was always scared of meat foods that could spoil the water such as fish and shrimp cuts. I honestly don't see him eat but the block of repashy is comoletely gone by morning and its too big for the other scarlet to finish so I assume he is eating. I also looked for sunken eyes but they are nice and buldging

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
How large are the blocks of repashy? How often are the feedings?

Looks hungry.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
BIG-G BIG-G Thanks I can try prawns but i was always scared of meat foods that could spoil the water such as fish and shrimp cuts. I honestly don't see him eat but the block of repashy is comoletely gone by morning and its too big for the other scarlet to finish so I assume he is eating. I also looked for sunken eyes but they are nice and buldging
Although these fish are nocturnal they will most definitely feed at any time.
Mine will come out and literally take food away from other fish.
occasionally chasing some of the cichlids away if they make him mad.

If it is hungry I doubt that there will be any shrimp or tilapia left.
I would think you may even have trouble getting it to the plecos for the other fish.

Repashy is a quality food, don’t get me wrong
But IMO These plecos need some meaty type foods in their diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store