HELP PLEASE

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Actually the first fish isn't really a Texas, it's a Flowerhorn (though it likely has some Texas blood judging by size of pearls). If you take good care (good pellets, regular water changes and decent size tank), it should turn out very nicely, good luck with them all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree that although the the fish in question has more predominant Herichthys genes, it is still a hybrid (FH or sorts) and in any spawn of hybrids, some will look more like the mother, some more like the father.
It looks male to me, but hybridization sometimes skews gender traits.
fullsizeoutput_14f9.jpeg
I edited your pic to bring out important distinction (if possible) female Herichthys generally sport a dark blotch in the dorsal, and their head profile is less steep than males.
Some pure Herichthys below
male

female below

SoloDolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2019
Actually the first fish isn't really a Texas, it's a Flowerhorn (though it likely has some Texas blood judging by size of pearls). If you take good care (good pellets, regular water changes and decent size tank), it should turn out very nicely, good luck with them all.
See why I’m so confused lol?

SoloDolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2019
I agree that although the the fish in question has more predominant Herichthys genes, it is still a hybrid (FH or sorts) and in any spawn of hybrids, some will look more like the mother, some more like the father.
It looks male to me, but hybridization sometimes skews gender traits.
View attachment 1375604
I edited your pic to bring out important distinction (if possible) female Herichthys generally sport a dark blotch in the dorsal, and their head profile is less steep than males.
Some pure Herichthys below
male

female below
Damn! Great info, I’m very thankful for that!!! I thought he was a male, I’ve tried looking at its underbelly but it’s not very distinctive and this fish is 5.5in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store