Help puffer swims face down!

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Just got off work and he's still alive but also still stuck face down... He's in his little hiding spot... I have a job interview in a few hours so I'll do another large water change and try feeding again after that

IMAG0131.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
After I saw him like that I went to put up my water change stuff and came back and he had already pooped... But I have seen the apisto poop and it's just a long pellet that stays together if that helps any... I tried feeding today and he attacked the bloodworms cube but after he got 1 it took him a while to eat it (unusual) and while I was gravel vacing the snail shells kinda get sucked up and he attacks them so hopefully I'll get my pond snails I ordered in and he'll eat those.
Btw, did the poop look similar to this:

IMG_5623.JPG

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I hope your little guy pulls through. I wish I had advice for you.

Are all IP meds rough on a fish? Are there some he could try that would be easier for him to take just in case or is it better to get him stronger with snails first?

Agree on the 2-3 gallon tank for snails idea, and you could do shrimp in there also.

I've also read that you could do snails in something like a tupperware container or bowl, etc. They don't really need much to reproduce other than food. Not even a heater or filter if you change the water and don't overfeed.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
i've refrained from saying stuff like IPs meds for the moment, coz i'm worried even trying half dose prazi pro or something for the IP's maybe too much in his current state...

Although if the OP is comfortable to try and has time to spare and watch his puffer for the day it maybe worth a go... coz as stated, just worried the fish may need an emergency water change if its too much for him...

P.S. this is just my take on the situation based on observations...

Reactions: magpie

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
No the poop didn't look like that just one long... Well turd... My snails I ordered should come in tomorrow so hopefully he'll destroy them and start improving from there... As of now nothing has really changed he still just kinda sits on the bottom face down... He still manages to swim just fine when I get close to the glass to say hello

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Welp my snails came in today but unfortunately I can't even get him to come up to the glass anymore... He just hides under the driftwood and he kinda spasms and jerks to get himself upright

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Unfortunately it's part of the hobby... It sucks it happened to my little buddy tho... If he doesn't make it through I want to try a planted tank and actually do it right... The whole bonsai tree thing has stood out to be ever since I got my first aquarium a lol over a year ago. Maybe even try a cheap co2 setup

Reactions: magpie

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
If that plan works out and I have a good looking tank then maybe I'll look into getting another schouldenti but as of now I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing and try to save him

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store