HELP stingray has white poop and not active

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
Well i thought i give an update. I turned the light off and now he has been out of the sand for two days! So he is having some stress. I did the water changes and it didnt help for his fast heavy breathing. He is swimming pretty active all day and night and is eating good. So the only problem is fast heavy breathing. I keep doing the wc daily. Also he is launching him self out of the water. He is swimming very fast up the glas and will come sometimes 2 inches out of the water. Is this normal or is he doing this because there is maybe lack of oxigen in the water. Also i saw him taking a dumb again and his poop was brown with one little white spot so thats a good thing.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I dont think it looks dangerously skinny at all. Its bot fat but its not unhealthy skinny either. Keep feeding him what he likes. Try to feed him with earthworms as Matteus Matteus stated. If you ray eats it it will fatten up quick. Dont change that much water everyday atm. It will stress the ray even more. And glass surfing is a natural thing for rays. My rays does it all the time nothing to worry about. What are the tankmates?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wait a minute. I just thought of something. What are you feeding it? I notice that the colour of my ray poop is often the colour of whatever I feed. If you are feed market shrimp or something that is white, that might be a factor here.

Their digestive systems are different than most other fish. When they eat something red like massivore pellets they pop what looks like a massivore pellet but in a spiral poop. When they eat fish, often a meaty kind of chunk seems to be left behind.

I might be wrong about this but I am wondering if that is possible.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Wait a minute. I just thought of something. What are you feeding it? I notice that the colour of my ray poop is often the colour of whatever I feed. If you are feed market shrimp or something that is white, that might be a factor here.

Their digestive systems are different than most other fish. When they eat something red like massivore pellets they pop what looks like a massivore pellet but in a spiral poop. When they eat fish, often a meaty kind of chunk seems to be left behind.

Ahh i missed that one to mathew. If i feed herring to my rays this is what it looks like.

Reactions: Matteus

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
I dont think it looks dangerously skinny at all. Its bot fat but its not unhealthy skinny either. Keep feeding him what he likes. Try to feed him with earthworms as Matteus Matteus stated. If you ray eats it it will fatten up quick. Dont change that much water everyday atm. It will stress the ray even more. And glass surfing is a natural thing for rays. My rays does it all the time nothing to worry about. What are the tankmates?
Well i Was forced to put him in the tank with my small turtles. To keep them from biting the stinfray i put a difider in. The only fish the ray can contact with are a kissing gourami and a black ghost knifefish. Both fish are smaller then the ray. I think amonia is the problem because now i have a very high bio load and my filter maybe cant take it. Im going to remove the sponges in the filter and add bio media instead of them.

Also the ray is breathing so heavy now that he is keeping Front area from the ground to have better water flow... The rest of his disc is on the ground. So problaby no dead curl. He is still sometimes swimming around and on the glass. Also he ate quarter amount of food he normally eats.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well i Was forced to put him in the tank with my small turtles. To keep them from biting the stinfray i put a difider in. The only fish the ray can contact with are a kissing gourami and a black ghost knifefish. Both fish are smaller then the ray. I think amonia is the problem because now i have a very high bio load and my filter maybe cant take it. Im going to remove the sponges in the filter and add bio media instead of them.

Also the ray is breathing so heavy now that he is keeping Front area from the ground to have better water flow... The rest of his disc is on the ground. So problaby no dead curl. He is still sometimes swimming around and on the glass. Also he ate quarter amount of food he normally eats.
Well yes if you change much water everyday you will get an unbalanced tank. Dont alter anything in your filtration at this point. Keep the water well oxygenated and dimmed for now.

Reactions: cigars and Matteus

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
Okay this cant be good... It is now evening in holland and going to bed is there anything i should do with the tank now? Is this death curl?

IMG_20190810_231112.jpg

IMG_20190810_231106.jpg

IMG_20190810_231050.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019

Im feeding him some chopped up fish and bloodworms. Dont know exactly what kind of fish but it is white ish. So maybe it is that.

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
Well that doesnt look that good at all. What are your water parameters?
My test kit doesnt masure amonia :( i did a water change few hours before and added de clorinator/stress coat hope this doesnt effect the test kit but here the params.

Nitrate: 15/20ppm
Nitrite:0
Gh:7
Kh:around 12
Ph: close to 7

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store