HELP! Urgent.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Don't take it out on yourself, I have hardly ever had success treating bloat back when it showed up in my tanks.
In fact I usually just euthanized any fish with advanced symptoms.

The best remedy I have found is prevention, which means providing low stress.
Low stress prevention to me means, lots of water changes, enough to keep nitrate below 10pp, making sure temps reflect the correct water parameters and temps the fish has evolved to live in,
tank under stocking, and aggressively managing any "in tank aggression" quickly.
And I'm "not" talking about trying to alter chemical water parameters, but only by acquiring fish that match my tap water parameters, and combining species that obviously belong together, and avoiding combinations that don't.
A couple examples
Putting soft water fish in hard water. Often results in HLLE and bloat
Putting hard water fish in soft water.
Not, keeping cool water fish in tropical conditions
ie, keeping Gymnogeophagus in Amazon river type warmth year round
ie temps in the rift lakes averages mid 70sF, so trying to keep them in the 80s is stressful
as far as bad combination examples
trying to keep S American Cichlids with Central Americans resulting in aggression issues, and water parameter problems
and of course overfeeding, and feeding the wrong type foods
ie, feeding primarily vegetarian cichlids like Cincelichthys, Tropheus, Uaru, or Vieja high protein meaty diets.
Sorry for rambling

Last edited:

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Don't take it out on yourself, I have hardly ever had success treating bloat back when it showed up in my tanks.
In fact I usually just euthanized any fish with advanced symptoms.

The best remedy I have found is prevention, which means providing low stress.
Low stress prevention to me means, lots of water changes, enough to keep nitrate below 10pp, making sure temps reflect the correct water parameters and temps the fish has evolved to live in,
tank under stocking, and aggressively managing any "in tank aggression" quickly.
And I'm "not" talking about trying to alter chemical water parameters, but only by acquiring fish that match my tap water parameters, and combining species that obviously belong together, and avoiding combinations that don't.
A couple examples
Putting soft water fish in hard water. Often results in HLLE and bloat
Putting hard water fish in soft water.
Not, keeping cool water fish in tropical conditions
ie, keeping Gymnogeophagus in Amazon river type warmth tear round
ie temps in the rift lakes averages mid 70sF, so trying to keep them in the 80s is stressful
as far as bad combination examples
trying to keep S American Cichlids with Central Americans resulting in aggression issues, and water parameter problems
and of course overfeeding, and feeding the wrong type foods
ie, feeding primarily vegetarian cichlids like Cincelichthys, Tropheus, Uaru, or Vieja high protein meaty diets.
Sorry for rambling

I've started feeding my mbuna more vegetable, as well as growing algae for them to graze on.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store