(HELP)Why is my baby arapaima yawning??

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
Well then if it's two times in a min for every min of the day id say you definitely have an issue. Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I don't have any good advise based off of that info....I was hoping for the best.
I dont have a water testing kit. Thats all the info i have.
Tank: 120gal (completely covered)
Tankmates: None
Size: got him at 5inch now 10inch
Food: feeders fish, frog,
Water change: 4 times a week 50%
Substrate: None
Aeration: 2 powerheads
Filter: 1 canister sunsun 304b

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I dont have a water testing kit. Thats all the info i have.
Tank: 120gal (completely covered)
Tankmates: None
Size: got him at 5inch now 10inch
Food: feeders fish, frog,
Water change: 4 times a week 50%
Substrate: None
Aeration: 2 powerheads
Filter: 1 canister sunsun 304b
Did you just cover this tank?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It's eating it's growing and you have changed nothing. I'd leave it be. Nets are not good unless you can "tent" it over the area. If your fish jumps and can hit the net it can get caught in the net. Not good. If the net is lifted like a tent off the surface then the fish jumps hopefully it can't hit the net and falls back to the water. Solid top is the way to go. If it was oxygen deprived it would be surface breathing. I'm sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water. If not lift the canister output out of the water as high as possible so it has to splash on the waters surface.

Reactions: tlindsey

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
It's eating it's growing and you have changed nothing. I'd leave it be. Nets are not good unless you can "tent" it over the area. If your fish jumps and can hit the net it can get caught in the net. Not good. If the net is lifted like a tent off the surface then the fish jumps hopefully it can't hit the net and falls back to the water. Solid top is the way to go. If it was oxygen deprived it would be surface breathing. I'm sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water. If not lift the canister output out of the water as high as possible so it has to splash on the waters surface.
Ok i wont put the net then. Theres alot of aeration. I have noticed he is eating too much can that be a cause? Its only at night after hes eaten the fish which are in the tank.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Feed less. Like I said earlier it's probably stretching it's jaws and muscles in the head area. Fish don't "yawn" for the same reasons mammals do. Breathing issues show as a gulping motion and gill flaring or surface breathing in fish without a lung, if fish have a lung such as your arapaima then breathing from the surface will be normal even if you have a ton of oxygen in the water.
I'd leave it as is feed a little less maybe and enjoy your fish.

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
Feed less. Like I said earlier it's probably stretching it's jaws and muscles in the head area. Fish don't "yawn" for the same reasons mammals do. Breathing issues show as a gulping motion and gill flaring or surface breathing in fish without a lung, if fish have a lung such as your arapaima then breathing from the surface will be normal even if you have a ton of oxygen in the water.
I'd leave it as is feed a little less maybe and enjoy your fish.
Ok...thankyou very much for helping. Ill feed him less. Otherwise his breathing is perfectly normal.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Maybe it's tired. Make sure lights are off nightly and close curtains so moon doesn't shine in. Not like he can close his eyes and normally don't go in caves like cichlids or cat, etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store