Help with oscar

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
Update! Got his forever home today!

It is an used 125g (I think? Owner wasn't sure) acrylic tank. I think this system was meant to be for saltwater, but I guess it can be used for this too. Got an integrated filter behind it, not sure if that will be enough though, we'll have to see. It needs some elbow grease, but I'm gonna leave it like new after some polishing and cleaning! After that, I'll cycle itthen put the baby oscar in there, along with perhaps 2 firemouth cichlids, or 2 blood parrot babies.

101069700_2666347060316192_3694130787520610304_n.jpg

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
Update on tank #2: Novus polishing kit arrived yesterday. Spent yesterday and today sanding and then polishing.

Started with 400 grit wet dry sandpaper, then 800, then 1000 and finally 2000, each time inside and out, after that polished with novus kit with a corded drill + polishing bonnet outside and then by hand inside because the drill did not fit thru the openings on the acrylic top (it cannot be removed). Am uncle helped me but Jesus Christ I'm completely destroyed, sanding a 125g is hardcore lol. So worth it though! I'm so happy how it ended up.

Looking like brand spanking new, clear as glass! Now I'm waiting for my bother to finish my stand (the one included is so flimsy, I don't trust it on earthquake prone area) and heaters/lights/substrate to be delivered. Little Oscar is one step closer to his mansion! Check the before!

IMG_20200612_200535.jpg

IMG_20200612_200342.jpg

IMG_20200602_104653.jpg

IMG_20200602_103406.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Update on tank #2: Novus polishing kit arrived yesterday. Spent yesterday and today sanding and then polishing.

Started with 400 grit wet dry sandpaper, then 800, then 1000 and finally 2000, each time inside and out, after that polished with novus kit with a corded drill + polishing bonnet outside and then by hand inside because the drill did not fit thru the openings on the acrylic top (it cannot be removed). Am uncle helped me but Jesus Christ I'm completely destroyed, sanding a 125g is hardcore lol. So worth it though! I'm so happy how it ended up.

Looking like brand spanking new, clear as glass! Now I'm waiting for my bother to finish my stand (the one included is so flimsy, I don't trust it on earthquake prone area) and heaters/lights/substrate to be delivered. Little Oscar is one step closer to his mansion! Check the before!

View attachment 1421574

View attachment 1421575

View attachment 1421576

View attachment 1421577
Lookin' good. And don't forget to name the O!!! We need another Oscar journalist in here...

Only thing. That's kind of close to a traffic area. Might want to move it off that corner a bit in case someone bumps it or spooks the fish whenever people walk through. Keep an eye on levelling too, I see your tile has recesses.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
Lookin' good. And don't forget to name the O!!! We need another Oscar journalist in here...

Only thing. That's kind of close to a traffic area. Might want to move it off that corner a bit in case someone bumps it or spooks the fish whenever people walk through. Keep an eye on levelling too, I see your tile has recesses.
Oh this is my front porch, I was cleaning/sanding/polishing it outside! The Oscar will go inside my home on tile and there are only 3people living in here!

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
1 month update! He's put up like an inch or so, and his colors are popping out more! Not sure if it's just regular growth or if the high quality food and care is doing his work. I've been feeding 3 times a day, at 9AM I feed about 6 float pellets, then at 4PM anopther 6 pellets. I finish at 10PM with a single soaked Hikari freeze fried krill cut in little pieces for him to easily eat. Weekly, I soak the krill with Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin F for extra vitamins in case he needs them (That's why there's yellow liquid on the bottle cap.)

His tanks will be done in about week or so! I am just waiting for some Weld On 40 to arrive (Should be here by Monday) in order to reinforce the seams, as there's some crazing, then I will elave the tank to cure for 4-5 days. Then I will cycle the tank with lots of cycled media and sponge filters, and hopefully he will be there in no time!

gga.jpg

Look at him go ABSOLUTELY NUTS for the Hikari Krill! It's like he knows it's time for his krill piece. If that doesn't mean he loves it, not sure what does!

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
Mini update! He's doing great, looking big now! He'll soon be in his 100g. It is taking longer than expected U_U, UPS sent my package back containing my Weld On 40, to reinforce the seams, so I had to reorder. But should not be too long now. His colors are getting pretty awesome! From completely muted when he was in the fish store, to all colored up and vibrant! Here's a little set I did of him.

P1120715-Edit.jpg

P1120721-Edit.jpg

P1120844-Edit.jpg

P1120863-Edit.jpg

P1120937-Edit.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store