Help

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Can anyone help me identify the breed and possibly the sex of this semi strange fish . The pet store told me hes a red devil . But after a great deal of googling I have my doubts that hes a pure bred or even simply a RD/Midas mix . He looks to have possibly something else . And then again maybe I'm over analyzing. Please help. Thank you

20190109_180520.jpg 20190108_154627.jpg 20190108_154620.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Round face red devil perhaps?
That's where I'm confused . Midas are known to have a round face and RDs have the pointed ,arrow shaped mouths . But I have never seen a midas with a face like that either . He has a super strong bite I know that. When I put him in the tank my large albino oscar started attacking him so they locked lips and the Oscar's partial lip and face was immediately bitten off . They were separated immediately but I've never seen anything like It . The oscar is fine and on the mend .

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That's where I'm confused . Midas are known to have a round face and RDs have the pointed ,arrow shaped mouths . But I have never seen a midas with a face like that either . He has a super strong bite I know that. When I put him in the tank my large albino oscar started attacking him so they locked lips and the Oscar's partial lip and face was immediately bitten off . They were separated immediately but I've never seen anything like It . The oscar is fine and on the mend .
I know just who to summon!
@R.D.

Reactions: Cichlid Novice

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most LFS Amphilophines are a combination of A labiatus and A citrinellius (often called mid-evils), and are quite common in many aquariums. Because in the past, many aquarists thought they were actually the same species, and randomly hybridized them.
There are actually now at least a dozen recognized species in the complex that can all have the orange/pink/red color morphs beside dark striped and other color forms.
It also could be any one of those species, but the only way to truly tell is to know what the catch location is (particular lake).
They all come from a series of lakes in Nicaragua.
Beside the two mentioned above, there are Amphilophus
amarillo
astorquii
chancho
flaveolus
globosus
sagittal
species fat lip
supercilious
tolteca
xiloensus
zaliosus
I have kept at least 4
amarillo

flaveolus

and two others in the 80s before I had a camera, and those were the pink and yellow forms.
There is also a chance it was part of the blood parrot spawn/line, but reverted to the non-mutant form parrot keepers seem to prefer.

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Most LFS Amphilophines are a combination of A labiatus and A citrinellius (often called mid-evils), and are quite common in many aquariums. Because in the past, many aquarists thought they were actually the same species, and randomly hybridized them.
There are actually now at least a dozen recognized species in the complex that can all have the orange/pink/red color morphs beside dark striped and other color forms.
It also could be any one of those species, but the only way to truly tell is to know what the catch location is (particular lake).
amarillo
astorquii
chancho
flaveolus
globosus
sagittal
species fat lip
supercilious
tolteca
xiloensus
zaliosus
I have kept at least 4
amarillo

flaveolus

and two others in the 80s before I had a camera, and those were the pink and yellow forms.
There is also a chance it was part of the blood parrot spawn/line, but reverted to the non-mutant form parrot keepers seem to prefer.
amarillo
astorquii
chancho
flaveolus
globosus
sagittal
species fat lip
supercilious
tolteca
xiloensus
zaliosus
I have kept at least 4
amarillo

flaveolus

Thanks for the replies . Someone else actually suggested that it might have a bit of blood parrot in him/her . Any guesses on the sex ?

20181228_135515.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Amphilopines of that complex revery hard to gender ID, unless you have a male and female right next to each other, even then, the differences are often subtle.
When they do mate, often the females choose males that are twice the size of females.

Reactions: Cichlid Novice

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Amphilopines of that complex revery hard to gender ID, unless you have a male and female right next to each other, even then, the differences are often subtle.
When they do mate, often the females choose males that are twice the size of females.
I dont want to take the fish out and vent it because I hear this is really stressful on the fish . And for some reason he/she is still really shy after 2 weeks of bringing him home and eats very little ( sorry a little off topic sort of ) but when I can sneak up on the tank when its swimming around the tank I can get a look underneath and I see a vent and anus that's roughly the same size and a little protruding tube that angled towards the back and from what I can tell thats a sign of a male no? Sorry my MFK name was made a year ago and as you can see its still not far from the truth .

Thanks Cichlid Novice

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
I dont want to take the fish out and vent it because I hear this is really stressful on the fish . And for some reason he/she is still really shy after 2 weeks of bringing him home and eats very little ( sorry a little off topic sort of ) but when I can sneak up on the tank when its swimming around the tank I can get a look underneath and I see a vent and anus that's roughly the same size and a little protruding tube that angled towards the back and from what I can tell thats a sign of a male no? Sorry my MFK name was made a year ago and as you can see its still not far from the truth .

Thanks Cichlid Novice
Sorry I forgot to mention that my Devil is about 7" long and the protruding tube near the anus is somewhat pointy .

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Sounds like a male... Does it matter though? Are you trying to breed that thing? I wouldn't suggest breeding it as it seems like some sort of hybrid and/or has deformities

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store