Help

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Sounds like a male... Does it matter though? Are you trying to breed that thing? I wouldn't suggest breeding it as it seems like some sort of hybrid and/or has deformities
I was considering breeding him with a pure red devil . I think "deformities" is a bit harsh. He is somewhat unique but from what I see he is a healthy, strong ,athletic fish . Now that being said I am ( as my name suggests) a novice to the hobby so it's possible that perhaps I'm missing something detrimental in breeding a fish that is hybridized or at least appears to be. Perhaps you can elaborate?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
As duanes duanes (idk how to tag people on this site) said, most Midas or red devil's in the market by now are hybrids, but yours seems to be a combination of the two as well as some unknown species . Most people here are of the belief that the bloodlines should remain as pure as possible though, not because you would necessarily be irresponsible and sell the babies as pure bred, but the person you sell it to might, or the person they sell it to might, or they might breed it with another pure bred, and then the babies could be so similar to the original species that they won't know better. This just floods the market with more and more watered down genes. There is nothing worse than when you buy a fish thinking it's pure and then raise it, and find out it's a hybrid when you breed it and the babies come out different. I think I just said all that really confusingly, hopefully someone with a better talent with words can explain it better.

The reason I said deformities is because if it's not mixed with some unknown species, then it is a deformity of sorts .

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
As duanes duanes (idk how to tag people on this site) said, most Midas or red devil's in the market by now are hybrids, but yours seems to be a combination of the two as well as some unknown species . Most people here are of the belief that the bloodlines should remain as pure as possible though, not because you would necessarily be irresponsible and sell the babies as pure bred, but the person you sell it to might, or the person they sell it to might, or they might breed it with another pure bred, and then the babies could be so similar to the original species that they won't know better. This just floods the market with more and more watered down genes. There is nothing worse than when you buy a fish thinking it's pure and then raise it, and find out it's a hybrid when you breed it and the babies come out different. I think I just said all that really confusingly, hopefully someone with a better talent with words can explain it better.

The reason I said deformities is because if it's not mixed with some unknown species, then it is a deformity of sorts .
Thanks for clearing that up . What you're saying makes perfect sense.

Cichlid Novice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
This is my other "red devil" from another pet store . Hopefully its at least labiatus/citronelis mix and not a devil parrot or some other freak species

20181218_104837.jpg 20181219_103204.jpg 20181218_104837.jpg 20181219_103159.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store