Hemigrammopetersius pulcher or "Copper Tetra"

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I am fascinated by characins, especially rare ones. A couple days ago I located a vendor who had this amazing, extremely rare tetra from Africa, Hemigrammopetersius pulcher : Fishbase says its location is endemic to:
"Africa: Dja River (middle Congo River basin) in Cameroon." Here is its description on Fishbase:

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/11135

Curious, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find information on this tetra--- and could find very little. I couldn't even find a picture of it on the internet, it kept erroneously taking me to a picture of hemigrammus pulcher (which is a magnificently beautiful South American characin, also known as "The Pretty Tetra"in its own right--.)

Anyways, I finally found, with the assistance of the guys on "Characins of the World," on Facebook, a picture of this unusual tetra. Look at the coloration of the tail! Here is a picture:

phenacogrammusmajor.jpg
I ordered 8 to put with my Phenacogrammus aurantiacus "Lamp Eye Congo Tetras" as they are endemic to the same area.
I got them today. All looking great and swimming with the aurantiacus. Ill post a video or some pictures this evening when they settle in.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I love African barbs and tetras, I'm super curious to see! African fish outside of the rift lakes are certainly under-appreciated imo.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I love African barbs and tetras, I'm super curious to see! African fish outside of the rift lakes are certainly under-appreciated imo.
Absolutely agree. I hope to set up a biotope aquarium with my African tetras in the next 6 months. But, I need to do some more research on possible tank-mates. :)

Right now they are in my 180 Gallon with geophagus sveni, biotodoma cupido, and corydoras.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How big do these tetras get, there's plenty that may work :)

African biotopes are cool but plants are often a chockepoint, at least where I live..

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
How big do these tetras get, there's plenty that may work :)

African biotopes are cool but plants are often a chockepoint, at least where I live..
Oh, it will not be a strict biotope--- only as much as possible, I am more concerned with " what is feasible" . There is very little information about how big they get. Fishbase says 4 inches. But, even though Fishbase is a very reliable source, I sure would like to be able to cross reference several sources for a more definitive number. I included that Fishbase source in the post if you would like to take a look.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Interesting, let's see the colour when they're settled in and eating. I think they will look stunning, let us hope. :)

Reactions: Lilyann

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I love african tetras, besides typical congos the only other africans I've seen were 3 fish imported from Nigeria that got stranded on their way to an owner and rerouted to the store near me. I picked all of them up.
Terrible cellphone pics but
Day 1

Today (a few weeks on)

They never stop moving and are one of very few fish to be green, I would love to find more

Your set up looks awesome, I would love to expand my african selection but I'm a little worried they might fight with congo tetras

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I love african tetras, besides typical congos the only other africans I've seen were 3 fish imported from Nigeria that got stranded on their way to an owner and rerouted to the store near me. I picked all of them up.
Terrible cellphone pics but
Day 1

Today (a few weeks on)

They never stop moving and are one of very few fish to be green, I would love to find more

Your set up looks awesome, I would love to expand my african selection but I'm a little worried they might fight with congo tetras
Somehow I missed this post. Thank you for responding! Those look exactly like mine! They are very active and are growing so fast. Its curious because a few of the fish have a bright copper on tail and the others are more a golden yellow color. In addition, the ones with the bright copper on tail have red tinge in finnage. maybe the males? They are also pretty aggressive to one another. One of the most aggressive smaller tetras i have seen. Here is an updated video.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store