Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nice thread and beautiful characins.
Makes me want an African tank.
Man you have no idea. There's a nice article on PFK's website actually :)

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I want to do an African Tank as well Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 !
I think maybe a 75 gallon, but, need to do some studying up of other fish that I can put with the African tetras.

Ill have to look for that article Hendre Hendre ! Do you have any African species?

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Is this the article Hendre Hendre ?

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-set-up-an-african-biotope-aquarium

This is definitely how I would want it-- with a mixture of crinium species, sand and mopani wood.

The c. cristatus is also a gorgeous fish.
That's the one! I currently have senegal bichirs, African knifefish and a synodontis catfish in my 4ft. Plus a snakeskin gourami so not truly African haha. The only African tetras here are congo tetras which I can't really afford to get a bunch of, so one day! :D

There's a lot of cool African fish, I think in the US it'd be a bit easier to find them.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
That's the one! I currently have senegal bichirs, African knifefish and a synodontis catfish in my 4ft. Plus a snakeskin gourami so not truly African haha. The only African tetras here are congo tetras which I can't really afford to get a bunch of, so one day! :D

There's a lot of cool African fish, I think in the US it'd be a bit easier to find them.
I would live a group of nanochromis transvestitus. I also like lamp eyes and a shoal of synodontis nigriventis would be good. I'd also like a few of Amy's tetras.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would live a group of nanochromis transvestitus. I also like lamp eyes and a shoal of synodontis nigriventis would be good. I'd also like a few of Amy's tetras.
Dude you must check out London zoo, I'll link the video. They had a beautiful planted tank with red Congo tetras, a dark moss madness with elephantnose fish and lampeye killies. Then lastly this huge tank with lots of African riverine fish including massive African tetras, some polys, schilbe catfish etc. Beautiful layout and fish there :)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Dude you must check out London zoo, I'll link the video. They had a beautiful planted tank with red Congo tetras, a dark moss madness with elephantnose fish and lampeye killies. Then lastly this huge tank with lots of African riverine fish including massive African tetras, some polys, schilbe catfish etc. Beautiful layout and fish there :)
I'll have to get myself down there and take a look. It sounds great and it's only 1.5 hour drive from my house.

I would like to see that video Hendre.

Reactions: Lilyann and Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

Here's the big tank, I'll save the full video. You must go check the place out yourself. It's marvelous

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Ill have to look up what these look like... thanks for the suggestions :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store