Her hips don’t lie

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for trying. I see what you mean how the quality video is garbage.

Basically she is spinning in one direction, then spins the other direction. Flapping her disc up in the air.

I just got word from the breeder in Thailand on a medication to use so tomorrow I will call a vet and see if I can get a prescription. Oxytetracycline
I would suggest to get some god flow through your box shes in. And maybe some surface agitation in it to.
Ive had a pup behave like this once. Unfortunatly that one didnt make it but that is completely my fault for not moving it fast enough to another tank as i was out of town when it happened. Got a call from my neighbour that was watching my animals that my pups was behaving wierd so all he could do was change water on a dayly basis until i got home from vacation. You are able to pull this of man. You know it.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I would suggest to get some god flow through your box shes in. And maybe some surface agitation in it to.
Ive had a pup behave like this once. Unfortunatly that one didnt make it but that is completely my fault for not moving it fast enough to another tank as i was out of town when it happened. Got a call from my neighbour that was watching my animals that my pups was behaving wierd so all he could do was change water on a dayly basis until i got home from vacation. You are able to pull this of man. You know it.
Sorry to hear about your previous pup.

So she made it through the night. Big sigh of relief. I have the box positioned so my fx6 and ac110 blow into it. After reading this I dropped an airline right inside the box as well.

I haven’t seen her spin at all today. More of a back and forth motion today. Other than that She is moving much more like a normal ray with her disc undulating like it should.

I got word from the breeder late last night to use oxytetracycline and 50%wc every day for 7 days. As of now I am not able to get my hands on any of it or black worms. So I am going to stick with prazi and wc daily.

I would say overall she looks much more promising today than yesterday. I will update after im done at work.

• Love
Reactions: RD. and islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm sure that you are aware of this, but just in case Prazi only treats for flatworms (not round) and flukes. Seems like the breeder suspects an internal infection if he is recommending antibiotics. I agree about the live black worms, like crack to a ray. Maybe ask on kijiji, or AB aquatica? Someone in Calgary must have some they would part with.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sorry to hear about your previous pup.

So she made it through the night. Big sigh of relief. I have the box positioned so my fx6 and ac110 blow into it. After reading this I dropped an airline right inside the box as well.

I haven’t seen her spin at all today. More of a back and forth motion today. Other than that She is moving much more like a normal ray with her disc undulating like it should.

I got word from the breeder late last night to use oxytetracycline and 50%wc every day for 7 days. As of now I am not able to get my hands on any of it or black worms. So I am going to stick with prazi and wc daily.

I would say overall she looks much more promising today than yesterday. I will update after im done at work.

This is nice to hear man. Try to keep the water in her little box flowing properly. If you have an old powerhead or something laying around the put it in to. Just to oxygenate the water extra for her. She wont blow away. I have an jebao wavemaker that moves 20000L of water per hour pointed towards the bottom of my pool. The ray actually enjoys it and swims in the current. One of my females even surfs the current from time to time.

Reactions: Matteus

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Matteus Matteus brotha how’s the girl doing? Have you spoken to the Thailand breeder about a possible replacement/refund? My brother imported some SWC over a couple months ago and the very same thing happened to his female. Heavy breathing, minimal eating, heavy flapping. He went through a course of medication, every single type of worm(s). Unfortunately she did not win the fight. He too separated her, gave her at least 150g of divided space in his tank. I suspect there’s something in the Thailand water, whether it’s bacterial or chemically different something is affecting the imported(s)

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So no death spirals today at all. A bit of rocking back and forth but other than that looks like a new ray (of sunshine) today. Moving around like a ray should.

I managed to source out some ghost shrimps today and she is happy and hunting them like a boss. I think she has eaten 5-6 so far. Left a couple extra in there so when she is ready she can go for some more.

I found I tiny little poop this morning, judging from the size of it, she def wasn’t eating much lately. But I’m just happy to see things passing through the system. Her hips are less visible already.

So let’s see what tomorrow holds for her hopefully she stays on this positive tragectory

B30D1BC8-A0F1-4B3C-9CC8-84F1E7116FE6.jpeg8C9F1FC6-7EAA-4EDD-8488-62B3F691B8EB.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
She made it through another night. Her rib cage is still quite defined, but now it looks more like one solid circle rather than every single rib so defined that you could count them. Found another poop today. Never thought I would be so happy about excrement. Lol

EE135F5B-6EEB-48C2-A2D4-82CE19D0FD6C.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So it has been a long hard day here. After all the good progress, she can hardly catch the ghost shrimps. I noticed them escaping her after she would cup them in her disc. I think she spent so much energy hunting them that it depleted her energy. She will no longer take worms live or dead. Only live ghost shrimp.

So I have to basically cripple the shrimp so it doesn’t die or she won’t take it. Then I put the shrimp under her disc with tongs. Then she wrestles with it for a few mins trying to eat it. Chews it, spits it, kills it, then won’t touch it.

I am just bracing myself for what seems to be inevitable. I have also just found out there is slim to no chance there will be a refund or replacement at this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store